to be a coward;
to not be brave
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Have you taken your excellent new idea to the boss yet?
Colleague 2: No.
Colleague 1: Why not?
Colleague 1: I'm too afraid of his reaction.
Colleague 2: Unbelievable. Don't be so lily-livered. Do you want me to do it for you, you wimp.
A husband and wife are talking ...
Wife: Help. Help.
Husband: What's the matter?
Wife: There's a mouse in the kitchen.
Husband: So, hit it with a broom.
Wife: I'm too afraid.
Husband: Of a mouse? That's a little lily-livered.
Being lily-livered definitely shows a lack of character.
1) It could have raised so much more over the long term if a lily-livered Government hadn't backed down to bully boy - and girl - miners threatening to ...
2) I'll give you an answer - the police are limp wristed, lily-livered wimps who have abjectly failed to protect their communities, cowered and overburdened by ...
3) At the outset, can I just say to the lily-livered compassion babblers, bleeding hearts, assorted do-gooder types and the like who may have ...
4) Cameron flew back from holiday to put some spine into what until then was a lily-livered response.
5) He still did the training and is therefore tougher than lily-livered draft dodger John Wayne.
6) ... to be as pale as a lily. So, a coward was regarded as lily-livered.
7) Don't be so lily-livered. If we are going down, go down fighting.
8) Since when did our successive transport ministers / secretaries become such gullible, naive, lily-livered, brown-nosing, clueless wimps?
9) Oh there was, back when those lily-livered sycophants Blair and Brown were rolling over and asking Uncle Rupert to tickle their tummies.
10) But surely, for your own sake, you will not be so lily-livered as to fall into this trap which he has baited for you and let him ...
11) It is the sort of uncompromising movie experience guaranteed to send pacifists and lily-livered liberals running for the exits.
12) ... to the liberality of the justice system, forced to pick up the pieces when lily-livered judges and incompetent guards release the bad guys to kill again.
13) So am I being lily-livered when I say that I have no intention of taking part?
14) ... of his first firefight with the decision to quit and take up teaching instead. Lily-livered liberals, eh? No stomach for the men's work that really needs doing ...
15) This is exactly the same kind of twitchy, lily-livered, fearful attitude towards penalising City of London crime that has bedeviled the regulation of ...
16) ... a good 'robust' course of action and not taking any nonsense from queasy lily-livered civil servants, bullies his officials into acquiescing in what turns out to be a ...
17) The lily-livered bishops of the USA have capitulated and accepted this wordy literalism; ...
18) ... the hardcore, offering genuine challenge to a generation of gamers in danger of becoming lily-livered lightweights.
19) ... notion that Hindus have always been, and continue to be, a race of lily-livered cowards who have invariably run away from every contest.
20) ... fooled or bullied by businessmen and politicians into believing that ideals and principles are for lily-livered dreamers and bleeding-hearts.