someone who lends money to people and charges them a very high rate of interest, usually illegal and often violent if the money is not repaid
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I'm getting desperate. I have more bills than money and I'm worried that I can't pay them. I think I will have to go to a loan shark to borrow some money.
Friend 2: Are you sure that's a good idea? Loan sharks charge insanely huge interest rates and if you don't pay back the money, they will do physical violence on you, not to mention loan sharking is illegal.
Friend 1: You may be right but I feel I don't have a choice.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Hey. What's the matter? You look terrible.
Friend 2: I borrowed some money from a loan shark. The interest rate is so high that I just can't find a way to repay the money and the loan shark is threatening to break my kneecaps.
Friend 1: Wow. That is serious. What are you going to do?
Friend 2: I honestly don't know. I can't go to the police because it was illegal to borrow from a loan shark. I'm in deep trouble.
There is no gerund form for loan shark.
1) ... or borrow against his house, or, even worse, go to a loan shark for money ...
2) Can't afford the repayment? Fortunately, HMRC isn't a loan shark, so you won't lose limbs if you can't afford to repay what ...
3) ... so he eventually decides to enlist the smilingly Machiavellian services of a loan shark, who offers cash attached to a handful of severe conditions.
4) ... understand why someone would rather give their debt to a loan shark or payday load company, than a national regulated body.
5) If you have become a victim of a loan shark or know someone who has there is help available by contacting the Illegal Money Lending ...
6) Speaking of outright violence, Ben's in trouble after borrowing money from that loan shark.
7) Stupidly, though, she agrees to meet the loan shark at her house... and to say he's menacing is an understatement.
8) ... ruled that evidence surreptitiously gathered by the FBI about Nicodemo S. Scarfo's reputed loan shark operation can be presented in a trial later this year.
9) ... we'll discover that most people only go to the loan shark when their income simply doesn't support their needs.
10) ... well as payday lenders, have taken over the traditional role of the street-corner loan shark, charging the poor insanely high rates of interest.
11) ... at the hardship faced by a young mother who encounters the attentions of a loan shark.
12) ... performance which has been seen across the country follows one person's journey from loan shark victim to survivor.
13) ... quick cash, but the worst thing they can do is turn to a loan shark. Victims are not only charged astronomical interest rates but very often are subject to ...
14) We would urge anyone who has been the victim of a loan shark, or knows of someone who has to call us in confidence.
15) ... when fools and their money are duly parted, there is a loan shark waiting in the wings to offer more cash at extortionate rates of interest so the ...
16) ... that would require me to take out a hefty sum from a loan shark which I would then default on and he would come round and break my legs.
17) ... avoid being beaten into a new reincarnation by a very large, very angry loan shark.
18) ... but they are forcing patients to sign over to loan shark interest rates, plus turning over bills that aren't even late to bill collectors ...
19) A loan shark will break your arm for 400 hundred dollars.
20) Would one ever think that Uncle Sam would turn into a loan shark?