"to look the part"
to appear to be suited for a particular situation
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I really appreciate you teaching me how to rock climb.
Friend 2: No problem. My pleasure. It'll be fun. First, we need to get you dressed for the adventure.
Friend 1: I suppose that, even though I know nothing about the sport, I can look the part.
Friend 2: Having the necessary gear is a great start.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: What did you think of the play last night?
Friend 2: It was interesting to see a spy thriller on stage. I'm not sure the female lead knew what she was doing.
Friend 1: But she certainly looked the part when she was stealing those top secret documents.
Friend 2: True. She did look like a burglar.
Looking the part, the man went to a job interview with confidence.
1) And last but not least, make sure you look the part. Dress properly for the interview, ensure you are smartly dressed, and look ...
2) You need to look the part and make an original and lasting impression on those that see you perform.
3) ... isn't going to cut it as a carry-on. In order to look the part and garner the respect that you deserve, you are going to need quality bags ...
4) ... if the other person continues to attack they begin to look foolish, look the part of a bully, and now are losing face.
5) From shoes to sunglasses you will need to look the part if you want to rock up on a beach anytime soon.
6) Most of the materials on the dash look the part, especially on the higher-spec Titanium versions we drove.
7) Whether my efforts are in vain or my bits and bobs will actually look the part, I hope that being a DIY Bride will pay off.
8) Whatever level you're playing at, it's important you look the part and have a decent kit.
9) Getting back to Farrell, he really looks the part of a manager. Square chin, good body-language, big guy, looks in ...
10) ... sunlit yard of Juarez prison, arms tattooed, head shaved, he looks the part of a ruthless cartel foot soldier.
11) ... that his ancestry was "pure Aryan." He looked the part. He had blond curls, blue eyes, fair skin, ...
12) ... the pros I came into contact with were true gentlemen. They always looked the part and acted the part.
13) Taylor looked the part... but you can't expect a novice to win games like this.
14) But no question, Brosnan looked the part and did a fine job in Goldeneye.
15) He not only looked the part but delivered a polished routine to Frank Sinatra's New York New York.
16) Michael Clarke was hired on the spot for just looking the part. Clarke didn't know how to play the drums, but that didn't ...
17) Vancouver tends to be about the show. Looking the part. I've had countless friends leave and none have returned.
18) Clothes: For me looking the part made the experience of a Safari that much more exciting.
19) We leave to go shopping downtown, Ferguson looking the part in a huge burgundy fedora. Her people suggest high-class Fifth Avenue.
20) ... as thoroughly prepared as possible and by looking the part -- wearing an outfit for example that exudes self-confidence even when it's hanging in ...