"to lose face"
to be less respected or look less than intelligent because of something you have done
Related words and phrases:
Two teachers are talking ...
Teacher 1: How was class today?
Teacher 2: Not so good.
Teacher 1: Why? What happened?
Teacher 2: I forgot the answers to some of the questions in the lecture and I looked stupid in front of the students.
Teacher 1: Don't worry. We all lose face from time to time.
Two friends are talking about a recent political debate they had watched ...
Friend 1: What did you think of the debate?
Friend 2: It was alright but what happened with Mr. Smith?
Friend 1: Yes, he really dropped the ball when he was asked about the health care system. He had no idea what he was talking about and by his responses, you could tell that he had not done his research and knew nothing of the subject.
Friend 2: It must be very embarrassing for Mr. Smith to be exposed like that in public.
Friend 1: Yes. It is a huge loss of face that Mr. Smith will probably never be able to recover from.
Losing face is not a comfortable process.
1) It seems that many people would rather pretend, than lose face when they do not understand a speaker's utterances.
2) Let's hope they don't lose face among their more popular neighbours.
3) North East players are particularly desperate not to lose face in front of their rivals.
4) But the Jews do not wish to lose face by retreating from the actions already taken to have Jesus killed.
5) I suspect it was far simpler than that: the imports didn't want to lose face by appearing dumb.
6) Somebody, somewhere has promised this and doesn't want to lose face by admitting they were wrong.
7) You're not going to let me lose face on this, are you?
8) His lawyer told me he is a big star in France and would lose face if he stayed for another week on trial.
9) He refused to do so and was declared a traitor. This caused him to lose face, which meant he and his family would be disgraced and would be ostracized.
10) This is probably Pink Floyd's way of telling us they would " lose face " with a followup to the highly successful Dark Side Of The Moon.
11) Try this in a debate and you would swiftly lose face to your opponent.
12) I said he was important; you're not going to let me lose face on this are you?
13) A lord is responsible for his vassals. And think culture of shame: You lose face if you support a candidate who loses.
14) Your profound misdeeds will cause us to lose face.
15) Well, it's better to lose face than lose billions of taxpayers' money I think.
16) They would rather lose elections than lose face.
17) She was determined to not lose face by arriving in her new country with nothing.
18) Not many senior military figures have had to publicly lose face because of mismanagement.
19) This certainly would have contributed to his aggressive behavior. Aborigines don't like to lose face, especially in front of their own people.
20) It probably will be implemented in some form simply because too many people would lose face if it is not.