"to make a run for it"
to start running fast in order to escape from somewhere or to get somewhere
Related words and phrases:
Two policemen are talking ...
Policeman 1: Did you catch the thief?
Policeman 2: It was close. We thought we had the thief captured in the bank and then he started to run very quickly to try to escape.
Policeman 1: Thieves do that. They try to make a run for it thinking they can get away from us.
Policeman 2: He tried to run but we caught him anyway.
A traveller is talking with an airline service representative ...
Traveller: I only have twenty minutes to make my connecting flight. Do you think I can get there in time?
Airline Rep: Well, sir, you need to get to Terminal A and that is at least twenty minutes away.
Traveller: I suppose I will have to make a run for it then and see if I can make my connection.
Airline Rep: Good luck sir.
Making a run for it usually means that you are in a difficult situation.
1) Propsting chose to make a run for it and two of the bush rangers fired at him.
2) I take the socks and make a run for it. I swear I broke some sort of record running back to the room.
3) He was desperately trying to make a run for it.
4) They muster up enough courage to make a run for it.
5) We spotted a South African border patrol and had to make a run for it back to the Zimbabwe side.
6) My first instinct was to make a run for it, so I did, with my wife hot on my heels.
7) Lou thought he should make a run for it, but fear kept him cemented in the soil.
8) Joel is panicked and Theresa convinces him to make a run for it.
9) Well they are now going to make a run for it, frightened rabbits caught in the headlights.
10) In true style Walter tried to make a run for it. He was caught and was beheaded by loud cheers from the crowd.
11) Marimar opens the window and makes a run for it seeing no one is around.
12) In other words, if the burglar makes a run for it and falls down the stairs, he can't sue for damages.
13) Up ahead the light changes, she makes a run for it, he has to rush to catch up.
14) Reverend Luke has looted his church of twenty thousand dollars and is making a run for it.
15) I noticed the rain had stopped and considered making a run for it.
16) I was this close to slipping all the accessories into my handbag and making a run for it.
17) While I sat in his parked car, I considered making a run for it. Let him feel rejection and isolation for a change.
18) As the two young women made a run for it, he suddenly realised that Nadiya was still standing there.
19) Khna even sneaked his way out of the restaurant, and made a run for it outside before Daddy caught him.
20) Some of the IRA men made a run for it. Sean Doyle, was shot and killed by machine gun fire.