"to make or break"
to be the deciding factor in whether something succeeds or fails
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Well, we are down to the last day before the deadline. What happens today is going to make or break this deal.
Colleague 2: Then we had better make sure that we do whatever is necessary to get this deal done.
Colleague 1: OK. Let's get to work, then.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: You sure are studying hard.
Friend 2: My chemistry AP final is tomorrow and I think that the outcome of the test will determine whether or not I get into the university I want.
Friend 1: I understand why you are studying so hard. It is a make-or-break test for you.
Making or breaking the deal was a matter of giving up one percent of the gross profit.
1) This person has the power to make or break your career in your organization.
2) I think hair is an important accessory to a look and can make or break your day.
3) She says the first person a patient comes in contact with can often make or break your visit to a doctor's office or ER.
4) And if there is substance to the relationship it won't make or break how they feel about you.
5) The curb appeal of your house will be one of its biggest "make or break" items if you are selling your house .
6) He knew this decision would not only make or break his legacy, but also determine the fate of millions of Americans.
7) The government can make or break the banks. We can make or break ourselves through our decisions in borrowing, spending, and investment.
8) Whatever the situation, the decision can make or break a company and needs to be thought through carefully.
9) The specification you pass to your contractors can make or break the project. Here are some pointers to help you create a foolproof spec.
10) Good programmers really do make or break technical companies - they add far more to the bottom line than anyone else.
11) ... it would not be an exaggeration to say, can literally make or break someone's Hollywood career.
12) Always use proper hydration and fueling. It can make or break your training and racing.
13) Traditionally, distribution is the huge make or break barrier of entry to the book publishing market.
14) ... of sales you make, losses to credit card and check fraud can make or break you. Put your staff on high alert.
15) A positive review from The Times can make or break an upcoming author.
16) Thankfully (knock on wood) there have not been any make-or-break deadlines, so they are usually pretty understanding.
17) ... company's site ranks highly in search results is, for most businesses, a make-or-break proposition, which is why search engine optimization (SEO) is now a multi-billion-dollar ...
18) As we head into the all make-or-break gift-giving season, publishers are focusing on sure-bet hits.
19) This is the defining issue of our time. This is a make-or-break moment for the middle class.
20) Signing him to a long-term deal could be a make-or-break decision for the Mets for years to come.