"to make up the couch"
to prepare a couch with sheets, pillows and blankets such that a person could temporarily use it as a bed
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: It's great of you to come for a visit. Sorry that I have only one bedroom.
Friend 2: That's OK. I can sleep on the sofa.
Friend 1: If you don't mind. I can make up the couch for you.
Friend 2: Sure. A sheet and a pillow would be great. I've brought my sleeping bag.
A couple are fighting ...
Wife: Your behavior is inexcusable. You can't stay out until four o'clock in the morning drinking a gambling with your friends. You are not sleeping in this bed tonight.
Husband: Where will I sleep?
Wife: In the doghouse for all I care.
Husband: But ...
Wife: You can make up the couch for yourself. And be sure to use a sheet. I don't want stains on the couch.
Making up the couch for an unexpected visitor, she spread a sheet first.
1) After dinner on the first night, we return to our room and I steel myself to make up the couch bed for the little people.
2) He didn't ask. He didn't say why. So I cancel my after work plans, and head home to make up the couch for him.
3) The two awkwardly make up the couch together so Aayan has somewhere to sleep .
4) The best thing about old friends is not that they love you or trust you or that they'll make up the couch in desperate moments.
5) Asking for sheets to make up the couch, is a safe way to discover where his parents want you to spend the night.
6) Where do you guys keep the sheets so I can make up the couch to sleep on?
7) He refused to let me onto the highway when he got off it; instead he brought me to his little house and, with his wife, made up the couch for me.
8) I remember those things. We were poor and they made up the couch.
9) He helps Carrie making up the couch for him and she begins to flirt with him heavily.
10) Just making up the couch now.
11) That may mean making up the couch and keeping it open or getting rid of piles of paperwork or computer clutter.
12) I'd like them to realise that if I book a room with one bed for me and David that they don't have to make up the couch.
13) Even if you neither liked nor trusted him very much, you'd make up the couch and invite him to spend the night.
14) We, however, pulled the short straw and had to make up the couch.
15) To depict this via interminable silences as they wait for the kettle to boil and make up the couch is the inverse of theatre.
16) When I came home from college engaged to my long-time boyfriend, she made up the couch for him with the instruction that there would be ...
17) Made up the couch for Marg, said goodnight and we got ready for bed.
18) Why do I have to make up the couch?
19) He's your friend. You make up the couch.
20) It's just for one night. I'm sure she won't mind if we make up the couch.