the first language a person learns as a child
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How many languages do you speak?
Friend 2: I can speak five fluently.
Friend 1: That's impressive and your English is really good, too.
Friend 2: Thanks. It's not my mother tongue. I grew up speaking Spanish actually.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I am just making up the copy for the job advertisement. Any suggestions?
Colleague 2: The applicants must be proficient in Excel and SAP procedures.
Colleague 1: What about language proficiency? Does English need to be their mother tongue?
Colleague 2: Not necessarily but they must be fully fluent in English.
There is no gerund form for mother tongue.
1) Isn't it all relative? Does it not depend on your mother tongue? Yes, languages like Japanese might be difficult for an English speaker.
2) I found no equivalent in English, so I have to translate from my mother tongue: ...
3) Deny that you know any foreign language (including your mother tongue). The knowledge of foreign languages is very un-English.
4) I left India too young to attain literacy in my mother tongue Malayalam.
5) I'm currently studying Spanish (my mother tongue is Hungarian), ...
6) ... because it seems to me that a lot of tribes have lost their mother tongue.
7) ... of which reflect on the problems and opportunities associated with writing in the " mother tongue " during a period of revolutionary change for the English language.
8) As was mentioned by the author, people are proud of their culture and mother tongue so why not show them you are interested and speak at least a couple words ...
9) English phonetics can be very difficult for a lot of foreigners because their mother tongue can be made up of less phonemes and allophones than English.
10) Even in this remote region, young people are seduced away from their mother tongue by Hindi on the television and English in the schools.
11) Thanks, this is very useful. My mother tongue is not English, but I use it in my daily life.
12) While English isn't my mother tongue, I think I am not that bad at it.
13) What are the other reasons for maintaining and developing mother tongue proficiency? Firstly, many children in international schools plan to return to their home.
14) And secondly, ESL students who turn against or otherwise neglect their mother tongue can often suffer from problems of identity loss or alienation from their parents, ...
15) English is not even my mother tongue and I apparently understand it better than some of you who speak it on a ...
16) Questionnaires were provided in German, French, or Italian depending on patient mother tongue.
17) Another complication is that schoolchildren in the countryside are fluent in their mother tongue but do not generally write in that language.
18) The color of my skin isn't white and my mother tongue isn't English. I come from another land with another perspective-speaking of the emotional ...
19) ... by translating the Greek books of science and philosophy into the mother tongue of each nation.
20) Both his parents told the census taker that their mother tongue was Yiddish.