"to nip it in the bud"
to stop something when it is small - before it becomes a big problem
Related words and phrases:
Two managers are talking in the offices above their factory ...
Manager 1: Have you noticed that the workers are taking longer and longer coffee breaks?
Manager 2: I noticed yesterday when I was checking the production figures.
Manager 1: I think we have do do something.
Manager 2: Yes. We have to nip this problem in the bud before it causes real production problems.
Manager 1: We are having a staff meeting this afternoon. I will notify the workers that they must take only the ten minutes they are allowed for coffee break.
A patient is visiting his doctor ...
Doctor: I got the results of your test back from the lab.
Patient: What's the news?
Doctor: I am sorry to tell you but you have the very early stages of cancer.
Patient: Oh, no! What can we do?
Doctor: This is a treatable type of cancer and if we use very strong medicine and start right away, we can nip this cancer in the bud.
Patient: You mean that I will get rid of the cancer.
Doctor: Yes, if we treat it immediately.
Nipping a problem in the bud usually means that the problem will not grow to be a gigantic problem.
1) I nip little problems in the bud before they become big problems.
2) You nip your illness in the bud by taking medicine right away therefore you don't become very ill.
3) He nips the labor issue in the bud before the employees go on strike.
4) She nips her children's bad behavior in the bud before they become spoiled.
5) The giant department store nips the bad publicity in the bud before the public stops shopping at the store.
6) We nip discipline problems in the bud before they start effecting the team.
7) They nip the termite infestation in the bud before the termites destroy their house.
8) You (all) nip the neighbors escalating noise issue in the bud before it is necessary to call the police.
9) Nip it in the bud, before it turns into a bullying issue.
10) Does it not make sense that you should act very fast to try and nip it in the bud, saving on several other tests.
11) Once you identify the root, you can nip it in the bud.
12) It was either accept being a slightly portly guy or else nip it in the bud. So I started eating decent food.
13) Better to nip it in the bud as early as possible.
14) These depressive thoughts get worse over time so you're better to nip it in the bud while you can.
15) I have been taking cough medicine and paracetamol in an attempt to nip it in the bud. I hope it works.
16) I want to nip it in the bud before anything begins.
17) Clearly, the Israeli government decision was to nip it in the bud and to respond strongly in order to send a clear message.
18) If you find yourself falling for someone inappropriate you can nip it in the bud by keeping your distance.
19) It is actually a good early stage of the disease so nip it in the bud early.
20) We just need to nip it in the bud. That's the most important thing.