to reject or forbid
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: What happened? You were so excited about your new idea.
Colleague 2: The boss nixed it. He said the idea was too risky in the current business climate.
Colleague 1: Oh, well. I suppose you will just have to come up with another idea. Perhaps this one should be a little more conservative.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Have you talked to your parents about our plans to hitchhike Europe this summer?
Friend 2: Not yet. I am worried that they will nix the plan. We are enjoying dreaming about and making our plan so much that I don't want to jeopardize the feeling.
Friend 1: You are going to have to ask the sooner or later. If they reject the idea, then we will think of something else.
Nixing the idea, we needed to come up with an alternate plan.
1) ... seeking faculty guidance for Paradise Lost or taking advice from classmates who nix the idea of a man turning into a giant bug.
2) ... things light, fun, and drama-free (it's only decorating) we'll nix comments that are excessively offensive to any group or person.
3) Be open to feedback and suggestion. And don't automatically nix plants you think you dislike; you may find that they gain a whole new ...
4) While she had a lot of great ideas, I had to nix some as not being appropriate for my readers.
5) And though it probably goes without saying, nix nicotine now if you haven't already because it can cause major cell damage to ...
6) Which means that a federal agency could decide to totally nix one program so they don't have to cut another.
7) ... lead to greater control of the Internet by government. Congress should wake up and nix this effort before it gets started.
8) ... that if they can't get any of the original stars, they'll nix the idea.
9) A note about flour: you can also nix the baking powder and use self rising flour for fluffier pancakes.
10) You've got to nix the vendetta and just look at the numbers as raw data without the personal slant.
11) So what's a guy to do if he can't nix his addiction to sifting through her pictures and status updates?
12) One of the things I nixed when starting this diet was taking pills with god-knows-what in them that unnaturally force my ...
13) The hot potato was: who exactly nixed a rescue mission one hour after the initial terrorist attack at Benghazi?
14) This was nixed when the designers realized this would make it too easy for your opponents to identify ...
15) Conversation about adding the Monday after Thanksgiving back into the calendar was nixed to accommodate the traditional beginning of hunting season.
16) Everybody thought it was nixed, that it was dead.
17) ... but that would have put my job in jeopardy, so we nixed that idea.
18) The inquiry has previously heard that Biddlecombe nixed the release, complaining to a colleague that it was "inaccurate and quite inflammatory."
19) It would be massively unfair if Selig nixed the trade and would send a very bad message.
20) ... of which was in the position to get her a recording deal. Cissy firmly nixed that idea, wanting her to finish her education first.