"not half bad"
somewhat satisfactory or good, especially compared to initially low expectations
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: What do you think of the new intern?
Colleague 2: She is not half bad, at least for an intern anyways.
Colleague 1: I agree. We usually expect interns to know very little but this one seems to already have a good grasp of the business.
Colleague 2: A good start, yes, but like all interns, she has a lot to learn.
A couple are talking ...
Husband: What do you think of my new Shepherd's Pie recipe?
Wife: It is not half bad for a first attempt. I will have no problem eating it. Do you remember when you first tried brisket and how absolutely dry and tough it was?
Husband: So, I am getting better at first attempts?
Wife: Much better.
There is no gerund form for not half bad.
1) You think they're not half bad and your mates reckon that's good enough to share with the world.
2) Chessup? No, he's not half bad when you get to know him.
3) ... Lenovo produces in their next batch of tablets (their last 10 inch was not half bad but generally not well known about).
4) ... tried his hand at a bit of writing. Poetry. He's not half bad at it. He'll have a slim volume published.
5) Google's Desktop turned out to be not half bad, but it was an early example of Google's creepy and clumsy approach ...
6) ... the on-board flash memory, that's a potential 128GB to play with. Not half bad.
7) Another example is the commonly used "Not bad," or "Not half bad," when referring to something very good.
8) However, this idea is not half bad and it would be such a huge success among worldwide fans, especially if ...
9) ... they actually have quite a great showroom and the sales people are not half bad if you meet them halfway with their English and your Chinese.
10) Ireland's biodiversity is not half bad, if you count in our migrant birds, our species-rich shore and sea ...
11) The analogy between cars and operating systems is not half bad, and so let me run with it for a moment, ...
12) ... and my creme brulee is not half bad either! Would definitely come back.
13) ... render the home page went from 0.85 seconds to 0.44 seconds. Again, not half bad.
14) ... overly grassy (hoppy) and has a decent length. Yeah that's not half bad. I get also a floral taste, which is nicer than it sounds.
15) ... of your way to remind him that you exist, and that you're not half bad looking.
16) It's a little simple, but not half bad.
17) I worry enough about others hating it when I think it's not half bad (or downright like it).
18) Which, re-reading now, was actually not half bad, if I do say so myself.
19) Some of the merchandise is surprisingly good and a lot of the clothing is not half bad.
20) You have some ideas and they're not half bad, ...