"to not have a leg to stand on"
to have no support for an argument or a case;
to be unable to prove something
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Are you worried about your court case? Being sued could be costly.
Friend 2: Not at all. The opposing party does not have a leg to stand on.
Friend 1: Why is that?
Friend 2: I have video camera evidence clearly showing that they ran the red light and caused the accident.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I think that Freda is going to be fired today.
Colleague 2: She has been late for work more than three times in the last month alone and our employment contracts clearly state that being late for work three times is grounds for dismissal.
Colleague 1: But maybe Freda will argue her case and come up with some sort of excuse.
Colleague 2: She doesn't have a leg to stand on. Her employment contract clearly states that no excuses are tolerated.
Not having a leg to stand on, the prosecution dropped the case.
1) ... my head is nothing but my fear. The fear itself does not have a leg to stand on -- what I do with the fear is what becomes the reality ...
2) I would agree with Andrew you do not have a leg to stand on and I see them used inappropriately all the time.
3) ... he would not have a leg to stand on. You could sue him and you would win.
4) ... not accept their right, you are irrational, illogical and will not have a leg to stand on when someone who does not share your ideas ...
5) ... take you to court - fight them! Legally, they do not have a leg to stand on!
6) ... for a company that is consistently acting ILLEGALY, then you will not have a leg to stand on when it all comes crashing down.
7) ... Peter, as we were doing nothing wrong; they did not have a leg to stand on, and they knew it!
8) ... and will be time and time again refuted comprehensively. You do not have a leg to stand on in this matter.
9) ... if you adopt the right medical and moral stance, he will not have a leg to stand on when it comes to complaining about you, ...
10) To say that someone does not have a leg to stand on means that they can not prove what they say.
11) ... that's the bill's only intention, then your argument does not have a leg to stand on. You may be breaking new ground inside a court, ...
12) Without 911, the war criminals in high office do not have a leg to stand on. The entire American national security construct collapses like a deck of ...
13) ... and turned it in and she did not sign it she would not have a leg to stand on in court.
14) Catholics like you do not have a leg to stand on because your argument is farcical, political, unsupportable by your own ...
15) Perez said they're not going that far because legally they would not have a leg to stand on.
16) ... make a person's blood boil, his huge fan following has taken it upon themselves to defend him even when they do not have a leg to stand on.
17) ... to deal with their debt recovery company who were rude and said it would go to court if I did not pay and I would not have a leg to stand on.
18) Zuckerberg does not have a leg to stand on. The Israelis are correct; Facebook is quite willing to remove postings they consider hateful.
19) Apple lawyers suggested that their court rivals do not have a leg to stand on. "VirnetX is not entitled to money for things they did not invent," ...
20) ... the way forward, insiders say they will not have a leg to stand on as the association does not have written rules governing its employees.