"(every) now and then"
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I've been working here a couple of months now and have not seen a casual Friday. It would be nice to wear jeans and a sweatshirt to work occasionally.
Colleague 2: We are not really that kind of office but, every now and then, when we are not expecting any major clients, the boss will declare a casual Friday.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Don't you get tired of always staying home to eat? Don't you get bored with your own cooking?
Friend 2: Not really. I like the food I cook.
Friend 1: So you never eat out?
Friend 2: No. Now and then I get a craving for some fast food.
Friend 1: When was the last time you had fast food?
Friend 2: A couple of months ago.
There is no gerund form for now and then.
1) Even the most precious diamond needs to be polished now and then, or we risk losing it forever.
2) ... be very surprised by how much a chef can enjoy a good takeaway now and then.
3) I manage to squeeze in a few quiet dinners with close friends every now and then -- it keeps me sane.
4) Even the people who work in the field hear about new things every now and then that they haven't heard of before.
5) ... have learned to handle these extremely venomous snakes but they get bitten every now and then!
6) You're always seeking this pure feeling. And every now and then you achieve it.
7) ... our best to keep them cool in their cages by splashing water every now and then.
8) ... but the humble USB stick still comes in handy every now and then.
9) ... can never be too old nor too successful to need some mothering every now and then.
10) Every now and then, though, along comes a guy who has a God-given talent for acting.
11) They can not rise to the occasion now and then; they must be consistent with all families, all the time.
12) And maybe you should try shocking your children every now and then.
13) It's good to kick back and have a chuckle every now and then.
14) ... all sorts of events and meet a lot of cool people. Every now and then I get to meet a famous person.
15) ... she casually indulges in a few glasses of wine every now and then.
16) And yet, every now and then we still struggle to perform the second pillar of Islam.
17) ... he still falls prey to reverting back to his childlike ways every now and then.
18) I'm just one grader and I make mistakes now and then.
19) Hey, you move on. Every now and then, they call you back.
20) But every now and then we witness a goal that is like nothing we've ever seen before.