"(to be) off base"
to be wrong;
to be unrealistic;
to be mistaken
Related words and phrases:
Two strangers are talking at a bus stop ...
Stranger 1: The number twenty-eight bus stops here, right?
Stranger 2: Sorry, you're a little off base. The number twenty-eight stops on the next street over.
Stranger 1: Of course, thanks, my mistake.
Stranger 2: No problem.
Two accountants are talking ...
Accountant 1: The sales people just closed a fifty thousand dollar deal. The expenses are calculated at twenty thousand. I'm going to put a thirty thousand dollar profit in the books.
Accountant 2: You're way off base there.
Accountant 1: Why is that?
Accountant 2: What happens if the project takes longer than anticipated or the expenses are more? Entering that profit in the books now will make our company look healthier than it might actually be.
Accountant 1: I stand corrected.
Being off base during a sensitive negotiation could be a disaster.
1) Alex does hit the nail on some things, others are pretty far off base and make no sense what so ever.
2) Much of the rest of what you're writing is so far off base I don't know how to explain it to you.
3) ... so not only were they not prepared and were totally thrown off base, they also had to be the first group to go for the day.
4) The stories of fifty years ago seem exaggerated and off base and Governor Romney has no memory of participating in these incidents.
5) Often the leak that we're asked to respond to is completely off base. Yet, if we comment on it, suddenly it becomes a story.
6) But according to NASA, these doom-sayers are way off base. For one thing, the next solar flare maximum won't even occur in ...
7) The numbers are way off base and some of them are just plain made up.
8) ... they were wrong about the Election and they're totally off base with their baseless conspiracy theories.
9) I realize what I thought was wrong/needed 10 years ago was completely off base.
10) This is way off base and solved nothing.
11) This statement is so off base that it almost invalidates everything written after it.
12) ... what they have proclaimed as the truth. And they seem to be very off base and in the dark on a variety of issues.
13) ... people into thinking their reactions are so far off base that they're crazy.
14) ... campaign what they think the message is and what they are communicating are way off base. Poor communication.
15) To assume that they are the same is totally off base. I do not think that the framework you purpose is so simple.
16) It is entirely possible I am way off base, but I feel 17 hours in a 72 hour time frame is not enough.
17) Even when you write about being utilitarian, you are off base. It is liberals who ignore the facts and do their expensive programs because they ...
18) Everyone who's advising others to avoid the truth is way off base.
19) If I'm off base, please let me know. If not, I'd be interested to understand ...
20) At first, I thought I must either be totally off base or the only one right.