"off the cuff"
without preparation or rehearsal
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: The boss just told me that I need to pitch a new client in an hour.
Colleague 2: Do you have anything prepared?
Colleague 1: How could I? I was just told five minutes ago.
Colleague 2: What are you going to do?
Colleague 1: I'm going to make the sales presentation to the new client off the cuff. What choice do I have?
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Here comes your girlfriend. She looks upset.
Friend 2: Oh, no! I forgot that we were supposed to have had a date last night.
Friend 1: And you didn't call or arrive at the date?
Friend 2: I totally forgot.
Friend 1: Do you have an explanation ready?
Friend 2: No. Of course not. I'll have to come up with an off-the-cuff excuse right now.
There is no gerund form for off the cuff.
1) Was he reading from a teleprompter or off the cuff speech?
2) Douglas presented this off the cuff which only magnifies his true genius in our eyes.
3) Romney said that he was speaking "off the cuff" in response to a question.
4) When someone asks him a question off the cuff, he has no clue how to reply.
5) Can't think of anything off the cuff although I am sure there are a few things out there.
6) It is regrettable that too many people listen to his off the cuff opinions and treat them as if God spoke to this man.
7) ... is that it wasn't a prepared statement, it was off the cuff, indicating how he really feels.
8) He appeared to be speaking off the cuff, no prepared speech.
9) ... didn't mean literally but, most government types tend to overreact to off the cuff remarks.
10) His former drama teacher mentioned off the cuff in an interview about meeting Renners boyfriend and what a nice couple they were.
11) ... has been known to raise eyebrows at times with her off-the-cuff comments on sensitive issues.
12) ... is at times surprisingly under-scripted and has gotten himself into trouble when speaking off-the-cuff.
13) ... adding that neither he nor Wolf ever imagined they'd release any of these off-the-cuff collaborations.
14) Well to be fair, it does seem like it was an unscripted, off-the-cuff comment.
15) In reviewing my off-the-cuff remarks, it's clear that I misspoke in this interview.
16) And sometimes humor just happens, such as when off-the-cuff comments get a laugh.
17) This was not an off-the-cuff remark and moreover, he has repeated it and elaborated on the point.
18) Moreover they appear not in an off-the-cuff transcript but in a thesis that is supposed to reflect the culmination of ...
19) Yet another example of Dana's off-the-cuff, haphazard matchmaking.
20) Your conversations are normally recorded and even an "off-the-cuff" comment may be used against you later.