"on pins and needles"
to be in an agitated state of nervous anticipation
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Well, did you get the job?
Friend 2: I haven't heard yet. The final interview was last week so I am getting really nervous and anxious.
Friend 1: You must be on pins and needles. I know how important this job is for you.
Two friends are talking in a hospital ...
Friend 1: How's your mom doing?
Friend 2: She's been in surgery for about four hours now.
Friend 1: And no one has told you anything?
Friend 2: No.
Friend 1: You must be on pins and needles.
Friend 2: You could say that. I actually feel like I will freak out any minute now.
Being on pins and needles about the results of a medical test is normal.
1) year and by October 25 I finished book nine. I am on pins and needles waiting for book ten to become available.
2) ... one way or another about how things turned out. We were on pins and needles, barely speaking at times.
3) Formula One movers and shakers are on pins and needles as the end of the season approaches and, with it, a decision by ...
4) Principals will be sitting on pins and needles waiting for the phone calls by parents that they have done wrong by.
5) ... on very powerful antibiotics to fight the raging infection. We were on pins and needles for the next 20 hours while we waited for the antibiotics to kick in.
6) Global markets are on pins and needles awaiting the results of this Sunday's parliamentary election in Greece.
7) Now, in addition to the usual anxiety, I'm on pins and needles wondering if he'll figure it out.
8) I'm just sitting there on pins and needles waiting for the guy to explode and rip us to shreds.
9) Every time we show anything to the public, we're on pins and needles over how it will be received.
10) I screwed everything up and now I'm going to be on pins and needles until he decides whether or not he wants to be with me.
11) I sent in my vote last week and now I am on pins and needles about tomorrow. It's sad and disappointing how close this election is.
12) He was on pins and needles all day long with excitement, and lay awake most of the night.
13) I sat on pins and needles waiting to see if we were going to cancel our trip or not.
14) I grew more relaxed and confident, and was no longer on pins and needles every time I steered my Oldsmobile out of my parking lot.
15) I'm literally on pins and needles waiting to hear what his first project will be.
16) Right now we are on pins and needles wondering if he'll come back and steal more trucks.
17) Lohan is now on pins and needles at the thoughts that she could be sent back to jail.
18) Everybody's waiting on pins and needles to see what the feds are going to do.
19) We've been waiting on pins and needles until we could share the new gallery formats which were announced yesterday.
20) A lot of us are on pins and needles as to whether we're going to receive ANY update at all.