"on the tip of your tongue"
to be very close to remembering something but not quite able to remember it
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: What was the name of that mystery movie we saw last year? I can't quite remember the name.
Friend 2: Oh ya. It was a really good movie. The name is on the tip of my tongue.
Friend 1: It was a strange name. Give me a minute and I think I can recall it.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Do you remember the name of that software we saw demonstrated at last year's trade show?
Colleague 2: The one that was supposed to amalgamate all customer service help tickets?
Colleague 1: Yes, that one. What was the name? It's on the tip of my tongue.
Colleague 2: It started with an "M", something like Master or Micro.
Colleague 1: Oh, of course, that's it. Master Data Server. Thanks.
There is no gerund form for on the tip of your tongue.
1) Delays in recalling words and names – feeling that what you want to say is "just on the tip of your tongue" – are a part of normal aging, and ...
2) Nothing. Finally, I concluded that the word for “a space of infinite size” wasn't on the tip of my tongue because it doesn't exist.
3) ... on the tip of my tongue, but was distracted by one of my children and the moment was lost.
4) ... and there's another one on the tip of my tongue but it's stuck, about ...
5) ... erm.... errrr.... its on the tip of my tongue!!!..... wait!, nope.... its gone.
6) seem to have the mental equivalent of something being "on the tip of my tongue". Maybe I can't conceptualize?
7) It was on the tip of my tongue then it suddenly went.
8) Don't tell me. It's on the tip of my tongue.
9) ... under the surface of my consciousness, like a word on the tip of your tongue that you can't quite seem to recall at will.
10) Often, when you have a word on the tip of your tongue, you can remember what letter it starts with, or what sound it ends ...
11) Finally remembering a word that's been on the tip of your tongue for so long ...
12) ... that you do know the answer which might even be on the tip of your tongue, but it is not immediately available.
13) Thesaurus can also be used if you have a word on the tip of your tongue but can't quite remember it; a search for a synonym may well jog your memory.
14) It's been on your mind and on the tip of your tongue for a while now, so it's a relief to finally get it out.
15) Just as when the name of some obscure actor is on the tip of your tongue, often the best way to remember is to stop trying.
16) ... that the next line in the song is just waiting on the tip of the tongue. When it doesn't come, you must remind yourself that this is actually ...
17) The syllables were there, on the tip of his tongue. But when he tried to speak they moved the other way, ...
18) ... thing that he was trying to remember, which was on the tip of his tongue, and then wasn't.
19) ... unable to cite facts and figures that should have been on the tip of his tongue simply by virtue of his being employed as our president.
20) ... bogged down and whatever the problem is, it's on the tip of his tongue but he just can't figure it out.