"once in a blue moon"
to happen very rarely
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Wow! You're really looking good. Have you been dieting?
Friend 2: Thanks. Yes, I've been on a diet for almost a year now.
Friend 1: You used to love fast food so much. Don't you miss it?
Friend 2: It's not a totally radical diet. I allow myself fast food once in a blue moon.
Friend 1: So, how many times have you been through the drive-thru in the last year?
Friend 2: Once.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Does your company have casual Friday's?
Colleague 2: No, not really. The dress code is always business, except, every once in a while, the boss will declare a Friday before a long weekend as casual.
Colleague 1: So you would say that you can wear jeans to work only once in a blue moon?
Colleague 2: Exactly.
There is no gerund form for once in a blue moon.
1) ... trash heap before posting. I do read their messages; once in a blue moon they have something useful to say.
2) Sure, serial non-paying down-loaders might just occasionally (once in a blue moon) pay to download music from iTunes or Bandcamp.
3) ... twice a year, I'll buy a lotto ticket. Once in a blue moon, I'll read my horoscope and chat up a friend about ...
4) The saying "once in a blue moon" refers to something that's exceedingly rare.
5) ... and evokes the sense of those brief joyous moments that happen once in a blue moon that person spends the rest of their days revising ...
6) ... many sea creatures washing up on the beach it is like once in a blue moon. With that whole beaching incident it is very odd that all those whales were ...
7) And doesn't the phrase "once in a blue moon" indicate something precious and rare?
8) ... or workshop is not to expect success every time but only once in a blue moon!
9) This is a very rare phenomenon, occurring literally once in a blue moon.
10) I'll continue to jog once in a blue moon -- but I'm no longer the cardio queen.
11) ... but if you buy something durable & only use it once in a blue moon, but it lasts forever, ...
12) ... sale. Ladies be on watch - this only comes around once in a blue moon!
13) ... bag, you were also fighting Joe Shmo, who travels once in a blue moon and has no idea how to respect the unwritten rule of airline travel.
14) ... treat yourself to a soda or fries or whatever. Treats once in a blue moon won't kill you.
15) ... are few and far between and community-recycling drives are only offered once in a blue moon, if at all.
16) I rarely eat grains - maybe some rice once in a blue moon, but mostly because I'm not a huge fan of carbs.
17) ... on a regular basis, don't send an email blast once in a blue moon, rather set a schedule to every an email blast once quarter or each month.
18) ... those things occasionally work. Every once in a blue moon.
19) If what you do is rare or openings come up once in a blue moon, you may be at this awhile.
20) This is a very rare, "once in a blue moon" type of thing. The only previous time this had occurred was during World War II.