"out of your depth"
not having the knowledge, experience, or skills to succeed in a particular subject or manage a particular situation
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: This new project that I have been given to work on is going to give me a lot of trouble. It is not an area that I am at all familiar with. In fact, I have had very little experience with the issues and have no idea what I am doing.
Colleague 2: Feeling a little out of your depth, are you?
Colleague 1: I suppose that I am going to have to do a lot of studying and consult a lot of people who might have some knowledge in the area.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How was the chess tournament?
Friend 2: I was so out of my depth that I lost the first game in only five moves.
Friend 1: Well, it was a chess tournament for masters of the game and you are only an intermediate player.
Being out of his depth, he had no idea what was going on.
1) Here he looks bizarrely out of his depth, unsure and wary.
2) Or is he politically clumsy and out of his depth -- a pawn overwhelmed by events, at the mercy of a second-rate staff and ...
3) ... was shocking, shoddy, inappropriately rude behaviour and this man is out of his depth in dealing with international leaders and the international community.
4) ... players just aren't good enough. Gervinho, sadly, is out of his depth.
5) ... a strategic flop, reflecting the naive incompetence of an inexperienced president out of his depth.
6) ... thing was a huge waste of time, dealing with somebody totally out of his depth discussing the literature of myth He knew nothing about ...
7) ... though he had the sinking feeling he was out of his depth; he'd never learned much about how electronics actually worked.
8) However, Leicester was out of his depth and he failed to understand the complexities of the issues being fought over.
9) He's out of his depth and lost.
10) Poorly prepared, nothing to say and out of his depth.
11) It may be that your child is out of their depth in the classroom and looking for a reason to fail.
12) They weren't doing anything. They seemed out of their depth.
13) ... out of touch trust fund schoolboys running the nation. They are out of their depth.
14) ... the fact that I had no formal training, and was well out of my depth in being a database manager.
15) I was dreading being bogged down with techno talk, and feeling out of my depth in shutter speed speak. (Memories of A-level photography creeping back).
16) I don't want to seem out of my depth but it would be really helpful if you could explain that part over again.
17) Hogwash Matthews, just admit you're hopelessly out of your depth in understanding the overall work context.
18) If you are out of your depth, or unsure of what to do, please contact ...
19) If you haven't done it, please don't comment out of your depth, or come up with some theoretical statement based on nothing except what a few ...
20) If you find yourself on a trail that's a bit out of your depth, be cautious of faster riders approaching and always give way to them.