"(to be) over the top"
1) beyond expectations
2) outside normal or accepted boundaries; exaggerated
Related words and phrases:
A manager and employee are talking ...
Manager: Your sales figures for the last quarter are amazing. They are so far beyond expectation that I had to check the figures twice.
Employee: That was my plan; work really hard and push my results over the top.
Manager: Well, it worked, whatever you did. Maybe you could help me teach the other team members how you do it?
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Don't you think your reaction was over the top? All your roommate did was take a couple of eggs. Did you really need to yell and scream at him for a couple of eggs?
Friend 2: I can understand how an outsider might think my reaction was exaggerated but taking my eggs was not an isolated incident. My roommate is always using the last of things and then I am stuck without and I am just too busy to deal with that sort of nonsense.
Friend 1: Still, yelling and screaming obscenities is really just too much.
Being over the top, her sales figures earned her a huge bonus.
Being over the top, his behavior was not tolerated.
1) ... middle chapters are a bit of a drag and the ending is so over the top that many readers will be put off by it.
2) Limbaugh clearly needs to hear a great deal more of his own over the top nauseating bellicose rather than rational thought!
3) Much like how the U.S. government has seemingly gone over the top with airline security, drones are likely going be the next security threat requiring a ...
4) Your laughable assertion that I'm a non-expert is a bit over the top. On a daily basis I demonstrate knowledge of climate issues superior to your supposed ...
5) I feel as though your critique of the Bluetooth headsets was a little over the top, and to be completely honest, uncalled-for.
6) The alarmists, in my opinion are egotistically over the top if they think we can alter climate.
7) ... and put yourself out there, you don't have to go over the top and dazzle everyone either. Act the way you'd normally act around people.
8) We met close friends for breakfast and had an over the top time here at Back in the Kitchen.
9) I don't want to be over the top, but I do want to stock pile on the needed items for my family ...
10) Many teams are pretty similar and the thing that puts them over the top is a great QB.
11) ... yet the musical score is over the top and annoying, and some of the scenes are like a student filmmaker ...
12) Yes, federal power has gone over the top here. Whoever heard of the Office of Thrift Supervision before it swooped in and ...
13) I have to say it really surprised me the numbers were so over the top.
14) In fact, we've gone so far over the top that false accusations of racism undoubtedly do a lot more harm than real bigotry.
15) I think the article is a little over the top in emphasizing the eccentric aspects though.
16) I think MLB umpires are a little over the top, but it is important for refs to maintain control of the game and players.
17) Sell your TV. Want to go over the top? Want kids that love to read? Want kids that pay attention in school ...
18) High fudge factor, low seller rating, ridiculous asking price and over the top description would have me staying away.
19) In fact, the show went so completely over the top with these ridiculous concepts that the viewer can only be left with one logical conclusion ...
20) Maybe the author intended it that way. The Grandmother was over the top. I didn't find her behavior humorous, it bordered on offensive and unbelievable.