"to pass the torch"
to relinquish responsibilities, a tradition, practice or knowledge to another person
Related words and phrases:
Two researchers are talking ...
Lead Researcher: You have made tremendous strides in furthering our study. Your work has been far above average. In fact, you have made some insights that I never would have. It is time for me to pass the torch to you.
Assistant Researcher: Do you really think I am ready for this responsibility? Do you really think I can be in charge of this study?
Lead Researcher: I wouldn't give you the lead if I didn't think so. Also, your name will be first when we publish our article in the journals.
A father and son are talking ...
Father: Well, son, I am getting older and have had my share of mowing the lawn. You have been an excellent student of grass-cutting and I think it it time for you to take on the responsibility of caring for the lawn.
Son: You're passing the torch to me?
Father: Yes. I believe you are old enough and responsible enough for this most important family duty.
Son: Thanks Dad. I won't let you down. The lawn will be better than ever. But I can still ask questions when I need to, right?
Father: Of course, son.
Passing the torch to your eldest son when you get old is common practice.
1) ... them a proper baseball stadium. And hopefully one day, he'll pass the torch to a proper owner.
2) When does an entrepreneur know it's time to pass the torch to a professional manager?
3) A pair of giants at RIM pass the torch. Transitions are terrifying, especially when the people on the way out are more ...
4) I now pass the torch to you, my dearest family and friends, to do the right thing and ...
5) It's all been fabulous, but it is time to pass the torch.
6) ... a person or organization's work through their archives, but we ultimately pass the torch along to researchers, scholars, and even casual users who make the real connections ...
7) ... to be into the last third of their working lives and preparing to pass the torch getting their proteges ready.
8) Eventually, America will pass the torch to it's chief rival in the Pacific, but only if China will prove ...
9) Bruce was past his prime, and found somebody to pass the torch to.
10) ... effort takes tremendous toll. When that happens, it is time to pass the torch and I know that is a difficult and trying decision to make.
11) ... he hired Johannes Kepler to do that job, passing the torch to one who could do the necessary analysis.
12) Whether that be in terms of regeneration, or in terms of writers/producers passing the torch, the show has switched creative hands so many times that you'd have to ...
13) ... we've got a brilliant new writer on it and we'll be passing the torch on to a new generation.
14) After almost 20 years, I am now passing the torch to many previous scholarship recipients.
15) ... there is going to be a new Star Wars movie passing the torch onto the new generation, like a father handing down his prized possession to his ...
16) Yet benevolent Gandhi passed the torch of the Independence movement to none other than Nehru.
17) Nokia were quite the smug bunch, they seemed to have passed the torch though and are now the ones that will be innovating, along with Microsoft.
18) ... have passed the torch on to a great successor.
19) ... series, the artisans, and the next generation to whom most have passed the torch.
20) ... has unfortunately passed the torch to someone else, of course all good things must come to an end, ...