"to pick an argument"
to intentionally start a fight or argument with someone
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Why would you intentionally pick an argument with the boss?
Colleague 2: He was blatantly wrong about the approach to this new client.
Colleague 1: Don't you think there was a better way to voice your concerns other than being combative?
Colleague 2: Perhaps but he was not listening to me.
A couple are talking ...
Husband: Why is the house so messy? What have you been doing all day? Watching soap operas and eating junk food? What's wrong with you?
Wife: There is no reason to pick an argument with me just because you have had a bad day at work.
Husband: You are right. Sorry. I know you were busy volunteering at the kid's school all day.
Picking an argument with the boss is not a good idea.
1) He's declining to challenge the popular wisdom. That's declining to pick an argument, not picking an argument.
2) ... further weight to the idea that it is never a good idea to pick an argument with an American soldier.
3) He may be at the point of looking to pick an argument just to act out, just to prove he's still there.
4) When things were quiet we could always shoot up a town or pick an argument with someone.
5) It was like she was looking to pick an argument just to get out. I had no idea what was happening.
6) Blair says the objective is not to pick an argument with China at the disputed Scarborough Shoal, but to set a limit on its ...
7) ... on how to approach the topic of your finances. Don't pick an argument. Don't criticise your partner.
8) They say that if you want respect in prison, you must pick an argument with the biggest dude on your first day in.
9) I don't want to pick an argument with anybody, but there will be a time. I have to confront Abu.
10) Why is Trump so quick to pick an argument with the press?
11) He has to go to the polls later this year, and picking an argument with the feds is a time-honoured re-election tactic employed by every sitting premier.
12) Some men will try to get rid of this feeling by picking an argument, which gives them the chance to show they are strong, ...
13) Picking an argument right after coming back home from a long day at work or dissecting issues at ...
14) For many American Evangelicals, picking an argument with the Pope is a badge of honour.
15) ... her and want to comfort her, but it didn't stop me picking an argument with her the next time.
16) The major was innocent and the auto driver picked an argument for no reason.
17) ... shows where he was assaulted on Wednesday by two men who picked an argument with him while he was busy picking up litter along Hesketh Drive.
18) They forgot our history and picked an argument where one didn't exist.
19) The duo was drinking at a friend's place when they picked an argument. The couple was left alone in a room to sort out the matter.
20) She was the most polite contestant and never picked an argument with anybody making all the house-mates love her.