"pie in the sky"
a very unrealistic wish, expectation or promise
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: So, what do you think? We have a great piece of software and the know-how to produce it. We could become rich.
Friend 2: That's a bit pie in the sky. There are so many obstacles to making money developing apps. We could just as easily go broke.
Friend 1: Can't blame me for dreaming.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I can't believe how cheap the fares advertised for air travel are.
Colleague 2: Beware the pie in the sky. Check the fine print.
Colleague 1: Oh, I see. The base price of the ticket was just three hundred dollars but when I add on the fuel charge and seven other charges and taxes, then the total is more like six hundred dollars. I guess I was dreaming that an airfare could be so cheap.
There is no gerund form for pie in the sky.
1) Of course, this is all pie in the sky theory, but this controller could make games more immersive and exciting ...
2) I'd rather see my tax dollars go towards reducing the national debt than to pie in the sky ideas funded by the federal government.
3) ... an opportunity to discuss unorthodox notions that might ordinarily be dismissed as "pie in the sky."
4) All of her means to increase revenue are "pie in the sky, wish upon a star" efforts and even if they worked ...
5) And the public's numbers don't even add up -- they want pie in the sky and lower taxes and more government goodies.
6) ... energy over the past 20 years by various environmental advocates have turned out to be pie in the sky. It hasn't happened.
7) ... and are more efficient at using the bandwidth than current standards. This is not pie in the sky. Plans to deploy early versions of these intelligent communications systems in ...
8) Your vision should be a reach but it also can't be pie in the sky. It must be realistic in that it has to be based ...
9) He made a bunch of pie in the sky promises during the campaign that he now realizes he can not possibly ...
10) ... with fuel efficient cars and better planned neighbourhoods, but it's pie in the sky to assume that Americans will turn away from the automobile.
11) So, the pension demand is not entirely pie in the sky, it can be done, we have the technology.
12) Making billionaires pay taxes may seem like pie in the sky, but it happens in Russia.
13) No one should be ripped off by a pie in the sky promotional video from a team with no track record and no clue ...
14) ... tangible goals that we can achieve (if we make the goals realistic and not pie in the sky) we can begin to see accomplishment.
15) So a con man who promises pie in the sky has a chance to win.
16) There is nothing pie in the sky about this, as slightly madcap as it might seem.
17) No doubt you will call this pie in the sky, but I think the lofty goal of free/dirt cheap post-secondary education ...
18) Those numbers are pie in the sky. The books are cooked routinely year after year.
19) And seriously those temperatures considering what it is today is pie in the sky forecasting.
20) Is this just pie in the sky? Are Canadians actually open to big ideas?