a completely neutral facial expression which shows no emotion
Related words and phrases:
A lawyer is talking with a client before a deposition...
Lawyer: Opposing counsel will try and get you to react. I need you to remain calm and show no emotion no matter what is said, OK?
Client: That could be difficult.
Lawyer: But you cannot react and you cannot show any emotion. Opposing counsel will use it against you. You must put on your best poker face.
Client: I'll do my best.
A friend is teaching another friend to play the card game of poker ...
Friend 1: One of the best strategies for playing good poker is not to let the other players know when you are holding really good cards.
Friend 2: And how do I do that?
Friend 1: Your face must remain expressionless. You cannot show any emotion whether you have good cards or bad. It is especially important to have a good poker face when you are bluffing.
Friend 2: Bluffing?
Friend 1: Bluffing is when you have bad cards but are betting as if you have really good cards.
Friend 2: Got it. Show no emotion.
Putting on a poker face can be a useful tactic during negotiations.
1) The host will maintain a consistent poker face and stick to a strict regimen of neutral comments.
2) You better check the leaderboard because Dufner has golf's best poker face and he isn't giving anything away.
3) And so, with the best poker face I had, I sternly warned her that she had one more chance.
4) Try not to get too excited. Put on your poker face. Save your negotiating strategy discussions for the car ride home.
5) Dan's poker face didn't twitch a muscle.
6) I've never been good at keeping secrets. My poker face is so bad it can be read even through a computer screen.
7) My brother has early-onset Parkinson's disease. He has a permanent poker face, and his voice is becoming gradually unintelligible.
8) It might have a poker face, but it has a pair of black holes up its sleeve.
9) I look forward to finding an app with such a technology to practice my poker face.
10) My stomach drops and I have to maintain this poker face and not let it get to the outer part of me.
11) Axelrod studiously maintained a poker face throughout our discussion.
12) But then, I also have a fantastic poker face, when I choose to use it.
13) He's trying to keep a poker face, but he knows what he has to do.
14) Sisko's got on his best poker face, but there's a definite tension in the air.
15) I think loving others sometimes demands we have a poker face.
16) I've changed. I've lost my poker face. Bluffing doesn't work anymore.
17) When she is in racing gear, she always have a poker face on, that's her bottling up.
18) He couldn't read her poker face, and neither did we, through her charming antics.
19) Their mother reminds them to smile. They have no " poker face, " she told Kimmel.
20) A few times I've gasped with the pain but do try to maintain a poker face.