"to pull wires"
to use your influence in order to get something or to help someone
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: How did Frank ever get that job? He is definitely not qualified.
Colleague 2: He has friends in high places who pulled a few wires for him.
Colleague 1: Must be nice to have connections that can manipulate the situation to one's advantage.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: There is no way we are going to get seats for the concert. It has been sold out for weeks.
Friend 2: Don't you have a friend who works for the band?
Friend 1: I do.
Friend 2: Couldn't you ask her to pull some wires and get us some tickets?
Friend 1: I suppose I could ask but I don't like asking for too many favors.
Pulling some wires to help get your friend a job is a good thing.
1) The opposition and western powers worry that Kabila is pulling wires to keep his post as head of state.
2) If Harper is still pulling wires in the Senate, Conservative senators will oppose Bill C-14.
3) ... it's a charade all run by the big men, negotiating and pulling wires behind the scenes, ...
4) Many even claimed that she got the audition because "daddy dearest" pulled some wires.
5) I believe the Ambassador pulled some wires to allow these guys to return home without prosecution, ...
6) ... transfer to Shanghai for the remainder of his enlistment. His superior officers pulled some wires... and he was on his way.
7) ... has enough cash to pull some wires, especially if someone at the passport office harbours dreams of pop stardom.
8) Fortunately a young lady in the hotel was able to pull some wires and got me to Paris.
9) William could probably pull some wires and get out of going.
10) By pulling some wires, he was able to place the infant in an adoption agency.
11) ... being out of the cockpit for more than a decade, he pulled a few wires and was able to get behind the stick of a Boeing 777 full flight simulator ...
12) ... also happened to have a friend among the Facebook higher ups who pulled a few wires and hastened the process.
13) A friend pulled a few wires and she got the job as his cook in 1992, ...
14) The England management were initially skeptical, but he pulled a few wires and got the gig.
15) The accused said he would pull a few wires "to get me out of the trouble I was in" and she thanked ...
16) ... organisers had to pull a few wires to get Pogues singer Shane McGowan into Australia for the festival.
17) You sometimes need to pull a few wires, have some references and only then are the experts willing to take your child ...
18) ... tried the sneaky approach and asked Brian May if he could possibly pull a few wires for us?
19) I hope they'll be able to pull a few wires to let it happen.
20) Those families could have pulled wires to ensure their sons stayed out of combat.