"put a sock in it"
an impolite expression used to tell someone to stop talking
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: This is crazy! They can't do it! I have rights!
Friend 2: What are you blathering about?
Friend 1: The university wants to suspend me for poor academic performance. It's not fair. I'm a good student. I work hard.
Friend 2: Put a sock in it already. You party all the time and haven't studied at all this semester. You get what you deserve.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Have you met our new neighbor?
Friend 2: Are you kidding me? I was struggling to get in the door the other day and she came over and engaged me in a twenty minute conversation. I didn't know how to get her to stop talking.
Friend 1: Why didn't you just tell her to put a sock in it?
Friend 2: Because having good relations with neighbors is a long-term proposition and I didn't want to be rude.
Putting a sock in it means that you stop talking.
1) People consistently complain about the excessively adversarial nature of politics. Oh, put a sock in it. This was parliamentary theatre at its finest.
2) When will Australia finally wake up, and tell Scott Morrison to put a sock in it and support the workable Malatsian Solution?
3) Africa until he can't bare it any more and tells me to put a sock in it. I'll tell him my dad's favourite joke for the millionth ...
4) Try something new, and put a sock in it. Maybe people will actually learn how to solve their own problems again.
5) Stop grumbling Hunt and Boris. Put a sock in it.
6) ... and the media gloomsters only really put a sock in it when they saw the huge crowds in Hyde Park and the happy carnival ...
7) You're speculating into the void! " yelps one character. Put a sock in it!
8) That's right. Shut up. Cheer yourselves up or put a sock in it.
9) Oh put a sock in it Field. You had your chance at the start of the Blair government.
10) You'll get into trouble! Put a sock in it, Pistol!
11) But both sides need to put a sock in it for the benefit of the whole. Outbursts at the conference only dilute ...
12) Basically, everyone has to watch their peas and q's, put a sock in it, zip it up, lock it up and throw away the key.
13) Put a sock in it, Daniel. Daniel was obligingly silent for a while.
14) Vinny put a sock in it. You're clueless about poverty, just want to blame others so ...
15) I wish the clueless, ignorant pieces of garbage like you would just put a sock in it.
16) Maglalang's foaming mouth is out of control again. She should put a sock in it.
17) The rest of us can just put a sock in it. You know, perhaps we should all start screaming.
18) ... like to go on about what people should or should not eat. Put a sock in it with your moralizing you sound just like the baptists.
19) Would everyone just put a sock in it and stop hating on Taylor.
20) ... democratic right to free speech I and many others do not have to put a sock in it and the interactive nature of the internet allows many opinions to be heard ...