"to put on the Ritz"
to assume an air of elegance or superiority;
to dress in very formal clothes or to do something fancier or more expensive than usual - often in an attempt to impress someone
Related words and phrases:
A young couple are talking one Saturday morning ...
Husband: You know we've been working so hard for so long.
Wife: Yes we have. And we've been so careful with our money, only eating cheap food we cook ourselves.
Husband: Well, perhaps it is time to reward ourselves. We put on our best clothes and go out and eat at a fancy expensive restaurant tonight.
Wife: I agree. Let's put on the Ritz tonight.
It is time for the annual Oscar® Awards.
As usual all of the actors and attendees put on the Ritz by wearing the most expensive clothes.
The organizers put on the Ritz by providing a very fancy and expensively decorated auditorium.
The entire production is very ritzy.
Putting on the Ritz can be a lot of fun.
1) They went all out at the party and really put on the Ritz.
2) The college will be putting on the Ritz for the graduation ceremonies.
3) They put on the Ritz for their twentieth wedding anniversary.
4) He likes to put on the Ritz and go out to fancy clubs on Saturday nights.
5) The entire neighborhood put on the Ritz for their fancy street party.
6) Poor as she is, she likes to put on the Ritz once in a while.
7) Putting on the Ritz is as close as some people will ever come to enjoying the lifestyle of the rich.
8) How often we put on the Ritz depends on how well the business is doing.
9) The government really put on the Ritz last month when the new ambassador was appointed.
10) What do you do when you put on the Ritz?