"to put one over on"
to trick, fool, deceive or outwit someone using some type of scheme
Related words and phrases:
Two students are talking in the library ...
Student 1: That was fun yesterday with the substitute teacher, right?
Student 2: Could you believe it when he asked us what we usually did during that period?
Student 1: I know! And we told him that we usually had free time and he just let us play.
Student 2: I didn't miss boring history class at all.
Student 1: We sure put on over on the substitute.
Student 2: Yes, but I don't think we'll be able to fool him again.
Student 1: Probably not.
Two coworkers are talking about a new employee ...
Coworker 1: Did you see the bosses face when he tasted the coffee that the new guy brought him?
Coworker 2: It was hilarious! The boss blew his coffee all over the new guy and then yelled at him about the coffee.
Coworker 1: Do you think it was fair to tell the new guy that the boss likes 4 sugars and 2 creams in his coffee when the boss actually takes his coffee black?
Coworker 2: Ah, whatever. We sure put one over on the new guy.
Putting one over on your friends can get you into trouble.
1) I put one over on my friends once in a while.
2) You put one over on me when you want to trick me into doing something.
3) He puts one over on his wife so he can play poker with his friends.
4) She puts one over on her boss by pretending to be sick so that she can go home.
5) The government puts one over on the public every time it talks of reducing carbon emissions.
6) We put one over on the other team when we change our signals.
7) You (all) put one over on substitute teachers because you (all) think it is fun to fool them.
8) They put one over on me most weekends.
9) One could feel Trudeau literally rejoicing. He had put one over on us.
10) This is just a company looking for more ways to put one over on gamers.
11) They were spurred on by a chance to put one over on the police, maybe for the only time in their lives.
12) Why shouldn't they take the chance to put one over on a competitor?
13) I'm delighted she managed to put one over on the media for as long as she did.
14) You know, I hate to tell you this, old man, but I put one over on you in there. I couldn't have won the case.
15) And these two friends weren't the type to put one over on me.
16) It a very special moment for me but of course it's always nice to put one over on the old enemy!
17) It's been worth the wait to put one over on the French.
18) Don't try to put one over on me!
19) You need to get over yourself because your husband has just put one over on you.
20) How often do you get to sell a story and put one over on the hubby at the same time?