"to put two and two together"
to understand something by analyzing clues or associating seemingly unconnected information
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking about a third friend ...
Friend 1: What's going on with Susan?
Friend 2: I'm not sure but she has been acting strangely lately.
Friend 1: Yes! She's changed her wardrobe to a modern look and she has had her hair cut in a very attractive style.
Friend 2: You're right! I've noticed that she's never available to have a visit on Friday and Saturday nights.
Friend 1: She seems very happy lately.
Friend 2: You know, if we put two and two together, it seems like she's fallen in love.
Friend 1: Of course!
Two union members are talking ...
Member 1: What's going on with Company Z?
Member 2: There is definitely something going on. They have recently de-layered management.
Member 1: And the company has started to use up its warehouse stock.
Member 2: And there have been all sorts of consultants working.
Member 1: Indeed! I also noticed a number of foreign business executives.
Member 2: Let's put two and two together and surmise that the company is planning to move its operations overseas.
Member 1: We'd better look into this right away.
Putting two and two together is not always an easy thing to do.
1) Any half way decent doctor can put two and two together and tell you you have an insulinoma.
2) People tend to put two and two together to come to the conclusion that the Doctor's somehow responsible.
3) But I never put two and two together until I saw what happened in Kenya.
4) I don't even see how you couldn't put two and two together.
5) I wonder if anyone will ever put two and two together and will report these similarities?
6) Move on to something else, do some research. Put two and two together, and understand that pergina doesn't work with her.
7) It was hard not to put two and two together, but it was also unscientific, he knew that much.
8) Anyone with an IQ above room temperature is starting to put two and two together.
9) But I never put two and two together and realized that he truly can be defined as African-American.
10) After Snape found us gone, he put two and two together, assuming that my mum had seen Pettigrew, and he raised an alarm.
11) Just keep an open mind and always use your instincts to put two and two together. You'll be surprised when you put on your own detective hats.
12) She was hoping that he would put two and two together and go there.
13) The blacks haven't put two and two together that Obama's policies have hurt them more than anyone else.
14) You just can't put two and two together, but that's your problem, not mine.
15) The second thing I knew but hadn't put two and two together about is that the sickest people get the worst care in the system.
16) I remember those videos but never would have put two and two together.
17) I guess I finally put two and two together and my heart was officially broken.
18) In case you haven't put two and two together, the Islanders are booking their relocation trip to Brooklyn in 2015.
19) Someone spotted us leaving a club together and put two and two together.
20) Clearly people reading his book could put two and two together and saw that Darwin's ideas had massive implications for how humans view themselves.