"to rain on your parade"
to spoil someone's happy feelings
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: You are looking really happy.
Colleague 2: I am. I just solved the production problem. I can't wait to tell the boss and claim the big bonus that was offered for a viable solution.
Colleague 1: Sorry to rain on your parade but Sheila also solved the problem and presented her solution to the problem this morning.
Colleague 2: Oh well. No bonus for me.
Two parents are talking ...
Mother: Our son just received a letter accepting him to the top university in the country. He is absolutely elated.
Father: The problem is that there is no way we can afford to send him there. The best we are going to be able to do is pay for a local university.
Mother: Let's not rain on his parade just yet. Allow him to feel happy for a little while. We'll break the bad news to him tomorrow.
Raining on his parade, I had to tell him that his plan would never work.
1) Eventually I rained on their parade and told the students that none of us could see the show.
2) You are repeating lies in a pathetic attempt to rain on this parade: Go spread your nonsense somewhere else.
3) I don't share this to rain on your parade, but in order to give you a more realistic expectation.
4) Hope those pilots at Air Canada don't rain on my parade with a strike.
5) This is something to think about when negative people are doing their best to rain on your parade.
6) This just goes to show there is no shortage of individuals who will attempt to rain on your parade, for a variety of reasons, if given the opportunity.
7) You don't want to rain on their parade, but kids need boundaries when it comes to humor.
8) ... to change the education system which is currently inadequate. i don't want to rain on the parade but nothing has been changed as of yet.
9) ... it looks beautiful -- and don't let some know-nothing 'foodie' rain on your parade.
10) ... on about how excited he is about the secret meal he's selected until Henry rains on his parade by pointing out that the restaurant may not even have it, ..
11) I say something about it, people are just like, shut up and stop raining on my parade. Now I just don't say anything.
12) I actually don't get why you hate anyone at all or need to rain on their parade just because your situation changed.
13) These people are evil and should be stopped, however raining on their parade could be very dangerous.
14) It's important, I think, not to let media messages rain on our parade by saying we "can't have it all".
15) ... it didn't make sense. I don't want to rain on your parade, but tree chipper waste isn't a useful source of pyroliser ...
16) I don't want to rain on your parade but your figures are a bit misleading.
17) ... so good, so remarkable, an inspiration to countless millions, who wants to rain on that parade?
18) I don't want to rain on your parade, but online storage is MORE vulnerable, not LESS.
19) I hadn't thought of that. Thanks for raining on my parade.
20) but that one shining moment was hers... don't rain on her parade. It lessens you as a human being.