"rhyme or reason"
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I got passed up for promotion again. I just can't figure out how management decides who advances. Sometimes, it seems like people are promoted on merit. Sometimes it seems people are promoted based on seniority. And yet at other times, it seems that whoever the bosses like the best is advanced.
Colleague 2: I agree that the process is somewhat confusing. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to it.
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: Did you get a good grade on your report?
Student 2: No. I got a D minus.
Student 1: That's terrible. What did the teacher's comments say?
Student 2: The teacher said the my essay was poorly organized, that I presented my ideas without any logical structure. He said that my ideas were presented without rhyme or reason.
There is no gerund form for rhyme or reason.
1) ... they'll be weighing passengers at the gate next... there seems to be no rhyme or reason to the dollar per pound calculation airlines are using.
2) ... may have chosen this path rather than just random bashing without rhyme or reason.
3) I struggled. Life seemed hopeless -- overwhelming, frustrating, devoid of rhyme or reason.
4) For all we know there is no guide rhyme or reason to his code. Perhaps it takes a fool to decipher the working ...
5) The prices, however, were all over the place with little rhyme or reason.
6) ... chapters in a time period before moving to a completely different one with no apparent rhyme or reason besides the appearance of the bat image.
7) Sometimes there is no rhyme or reason to depression. Hang in there.
8) Near as I could tell, there was no rhyme or reason for where things were placed. Laundry soap was next to produce.
9) ... and those bad things happen to your own family and there is no rhyme or reason to it. It is what it is, and so you react ...
10) There is no justice or rhyme or reason behind the deletions. Every time I complain, nothing happens.
11) ... they are inconsistent and come and go without rhyme or reason.
12) ... others are going to get lucky, and you won't find any rhyme or reason in it, nor any justice.
13) There was no plan. There was rhyme or reason to any of these moves. The team was just slapped together.
14) It includes 57 fundamental particles, with no rhyme or reason to many of the numbers describing how the particles interact.
15) ... no attempt to bridge the two styles, they are forced to cohabitate, without rhyme or reason to unite them.
16) Haters rely on emotion not critical thought, haters inflame, there is no rhyme or reason just hate.
17) ... next, they sit, idle, sifting through the transcripts and video with no rhyme or reason to their method.
18) The way they are doing it now, there is no rhyme or reason for it. Just a zap here and a zap there.
19) When I look back on the relationships I used to have, there was no rhyme or reason to them, they seemed to "just happen".
20) I wish that there was a rhyme or reason but it's just whatever we feel passionate about at the time.