"to rip off the Band-Aid"
to finish a difficult task or situation quickly and immediately in order to avoid a prolonged painful episode
Related words and phrases:
A boss is meeting with an employee ...
Boss: There is no easy way to tell you this so I am just going to rip off the Band-Aid.
Boss: We are downsizing the company and you are fired.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I have been agonizing for weeks over how to tell my girlfriend that our relationship is over. She is a really nice person and I don't want to hurt her.
Friend 2: And you don't think she can feel that something is coming and that she is suffering already from your changes in behavior?
Friend 1: So, what should I do?
Friend 2: Rip off the Band-Aid. Tell her today and get it over with. That way you can both experience one shot of pain and then move on.
Ripping off the Band-Aid can avoid a lot of pain later.
1) Everyone hates change but sometimes ripping off the Band-Aid is the best way forward.
2) You know it's probably time to end things, but ripping off the Band-Aid is just so logistically tough. How do you sit down for a major conversation ...
3) ... described as "ripping off the Band-Aid", the business cut 520 jobs, and closed its offices in New York.
4) It's the work-world equivalent of ripping off the Band-Aid. In the long run, it hurts much less.
5) ... stuff that surfaced after being suppressed for over two decades, and ripping off the Band-Aid has forced me to work through them.
6) I was always jealous of my friends who could rip off the band-aid. They seemed to just cut ties and move on, seamlessly and immediately.
7) ... realized all too well that it was time to rip off the Band-Aid all at once, as soon as possible.
8) ... to expound on the many reasons to just bite your lip, rip off the Band-Aid and be done with Facebook forever.
9) ... did something that most companies are afraid to do. It ripped off the band-aid and decided to focus completely on a new subscription revenue model.
10) Yesterday Abrams finally ripped off the band-aid, revealing the entire cast in a public snapshot of the film's first table ...
11) ... so I just made an announcement and ripped off the Band-Aid.
12) There will probably always be people who are afraid to rip off the band-aid. Vulnerability is not about fear and grief and disappointment.
13) Hunter and I wanted to start fast to see what I could still do because you never know until you rip off the 'band aid.'
14) When it's time to rip off the Band-Aid, are you ready to explain how the increase translates to increased member value?
15) ... and Kinder Morgan's experience on that front in December suggests it is better to rip off the Band-Aid quickly rather than tug at it piecemeal.
16) Philly's Archdiocese Needs to Rip Off the Band-Aid. Stop torturing parishioners with piecemeal closings: Pick one church and one school in ...
17) There's no point in dancing around it any longer, so we might as well rip off the band-aid quick.
18) Do you “rip off the Band-Aid” or muddle through?
19) Fanning is scheduled to surf in the first heat. By now, it's clear – he wants to swiftly rip off the Band-Aid and just move on already.
20) You can just go ahead and rip off the band-aid. I have a pretty good idea why you're here.