"to be rusty"
to be out of practice;
to be impaired in skill or knowledge due to inaction or the passage of time
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking as they take a break from playing tennis ...
Friend 1: That was fun but I remember playing better in the past.
Friend 2: How long has it been since you played?
Friend 1: It's been about ten years since I picked up a racquet.
Friend 2: No wonder you're a little rusty.
A father and son are talking ...
Son: Dad, can you help me with my geometry homework, please?
Father: Sure, Son. I don't know how helpful I'll be. My geometry is a little rusty.
Son: How long has it been since you did any geometry.
Father: A lot of years but I am sure that I will remember quickly.
Being rusty is to be expected if you haven't practiced for years.
1) I was very nervous because my English is rusty and so I thought that no one would understand me.
2) Our moral compass is in the right place, but is rusty due to long inactivity.
3) Frankly, my physics is rusty and I don't have any useful contribution to make.
4) I've taken up to differential equations but I guess my math is rusty. Can someone explain the mechanics of the math to me?
5) He had all summer to study and get ready, whereas I was rusty and a bit shaken by the changes in the routine.
6) Why? Because every student was rusty and seemingly forgot how to swing the club.
7) He saw a lot of the ball but lacked sharpness and looked like he was rusty coming off a spell out of the team.
8) It was patently obvious that ROG was rusty (as anyone would be in their first minutes of the season).
9) As one panelist remarked, Mr. Obama was rusty. His classy style and debating skills of 2008 were missing.
10) I ended the weekend feeling a little dissatisfied with my orienteering. I was rusty and made far too many errors.
11) He tried to land squarely on Gibbons face but he was rusty and his timing was off.
12) I was rusty on the big points and lacked the confidence to go for broke.
13) The president was rusty as a debater. He hasn't done this in four years.
14) I was rusty on my geometry.
15) If I had played on the wing I would probably have been rusty as well.
16) His forensic skills were rusty and his ex-colleagues skeptical.
17) Kelly says while they were rusty, she felt like they were on the cusp of something great.
18) His skills were rusty but he had administered the Kiss of Life and CPR.
19) Albert and Leandra haven't done it in a while and were rusty enough they made the occasional mistake.
20) Young, whose songwriting chops were rusty at best, picked up the guitar for the first time in 15 years.