"the salt of the earth"
an ordinary person who is respected because they are honest and good
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: I heard about the fire in your apartment building. Are you alright?
Friend 2: Yes. No one was hurt.
Friend 1: So, where are you living?
Friend 2: Ben instantly came and picked me up outside the burnt apartment, took me home and gave me his guest room. He gave me some clothes. He even lent me some money until I could replace my identification.
Friend 1: Ben really is the salt of the earth.
A police officer and citizen are talking inside a police precinct ...
Citizen: I'd like to turn in this wallet that I found on the street.
Police Officer: Thank you very much. There's four hundred dollars in the wallet.
Citizen: I wouldn't know. I didn't look.
Police Officer: It's thanks to salt-of-the-earth people like you that make this city great. Thank you.
Being the salt of the earth, your friends ask you for advice.
1) ... which reinforced my initial opinion that cooks and gardeners are the salt of the earth.
2) Ah, yes, the exalted "common working folk," those salt of the earth, "real" Americans who uphold the time-honored heartland values of ...
3) ... poor farmer in his/her field as somehow a less sophisticated benevolent soul who is the salt of the earth, literally and figuratively.
4) ... we're not real people here, not salt of the earth type ...
5) ... grace, courage, humor and love of country. Truly they are the salt of the earth.
6) Nurses are the salt of the earth. RESPECT them, and THANK them.
7) ... social-climbing ambitions, which has a tendency to vanish and be replaced by her natural salt of the earth Yorkshire accent at times of stress.
8) ... actors with insane sums of money for contributing little of real value while ordinary salt of the earth people are abused in the system and not even paid enough to ...
9) They were hard working god fearing Americans, salt of the earth.
10) Some of the environmental lobbyists of the Western nations are the salt of the earth, but many of them are elitists.
11) Since you're people -- good people, salt of the earth people -- maybe you can re-make it.
12) ... goodness people, friendly, always willing to help others, and they were the salt of the earth, people trusted each other, nobody ever locked their doors, ...
13) His boss Mark is such a nice man. Salt of the earth.
14) Reasonable Christians are the salt of the earth. Often the zealots are very destructive.
15) ... there are many working men who wear ties and jackets, but real blue-collar, salt of the earth men just wear a shirt.
16) These are hardworking, salt of the earth Louisianans -- construction workers, waiters, fishermen, health care professionals ...
17) A salt of the earth person we all love and esteem.
18) ... a great salt of the earth and an honest, upright non-lying man.
19) ... for us all to remember, brothers and sisters, is that we are the salt of the earth. We are the people with no privileges.
20) Let's hear it for us, folks... the ordinary salt of the earth type people who put vinegar on our fish and chips.