"to save someone's neck"
to escape from or help someone else escape from a difficult, dangerous or unpleasant situation
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Here it is one hour before my big presentation and I need two hours to finish the cross-analysis graph. I'm in trouble.
Colleague 2: No problem. I worked on the graph last night. I'll email it to you.
Colleague 1: Really? Thanks a lot. You really saved my neck.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How was your camping trip?
Friend 2: It was exciting but dangerous. We had a grizzly bear threaten our camp.
Friend 1: What happened?
Friend 2: Well, Jane twisted her ankle and couldn't get away. I tried to help her but I really needed some help.
Friend 1: Where was Jarrod?
Friend 2: He ran away to save his own neck.
Friend 1: What a coward!
Saving your best friends neck when he gets into trouble is what friends do.
1) ... choosing to be the hangman of his companions in order to save his neck.
2) Basahar has one opportunity to save his neck and his name from the blood bath that started in his name.
3) ... unsure as to whether he would tell the truth at the inquest or save his neck.
4) ... in a face-saving act by my boss, who decided to save his neck by putting all the blame on me.
5) Think Saints need a man with far more experience than EH to save their neck this season ...
6) The corporate hierarchy usually shifts such problems to others and tries to save their neck.
7) Assuming that people do not lie to save their neck, ...
8) In my experience a checklist can really save your neck from embarrassment.
9) Running away might also save your neck but it won't save the loved ones you protect for which you have a ...
10) ... but in a time of civil unrest, avoiding a roadblock could save your neck.
11) I like to know whether I'm lying to save the neck of a tosser or a moron.
12) ... implemented in the monetary policy of the United States two years ago to save the neck of free enterprise capitalist America.
13) ... detour to Eugene to visit the kind folks (who've helped and saved my neck several times) who supply me with after-market parts for my DR650.
14) Pooja often made sure that she took half the blame and saved my neck.
15) ... it's saved my neck on 2 occasions in the past 18mnths from sudden hard drive failures.
16) On quite a few occasions they saved my neck and even helped me out with money.
17) I always appreciate how you guys saved my neck by deleting the evidence.
18) He had developed a motto that had saved his neck on many occasions -- risk is a dish best served to others.
19) When his boat sank, Tom saved his neck by clinging to a life preserver until a passing ship rescued him.
20) She had better win her argument with Osborne if she hopes to save her neck.