"to save someone's skin"
to escape from or help someone else escape from a difficult, dangerous or unpleasant situation
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Here it is one hour before my big presentation and I need two hours to finish the cross-analysis graph. I'm in trouble.
Colleague 2: No problem. I worked on the graph last night. I'll email it to you.
Colleague 1: Really? Thanks a lot. You really saved my skin.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: How was your camping trip?
Friend 2: It was exciting but dangerous. We had a grizzly bear threaten our camp.
Friend 1: What happened?
Friend 2: Well, Jane twisted her ankle and couldn't get away. I tried to help her but I really needed some help.
Friend 1: Where was Jarrod?
Friend 2: He ran away to save his own skin.
Friend 1: What a coward!
Saving your best friends skin when he gets into trouble is what friends do.
1) ... choosing to be the hangman of his companions in order to save his skin.
2) Basahar has one opportunity to save his skin and his name from the blood bath that started in his name.
3) ... unsure as to whether he would tell the truth at the inquest or save his skin.
4) ... in a face-saving act by my boss, who decided to save his skin by putting all the blame on me.
5) Think Saints need a man with far more experience than EH to save their skin this season ...
6) The corporate hierarchy usually shifts such problems to others and tries to save their skin.
7) Assuming that people do not lie to save their skin, ...
8) In my experience a checklist can really save your skin from embarrassment.
9) Running away might also save your skin but it won't save the loved ones you protect for which you have a ...
10) ... but in a time of civil unrest, avoiding a roadblock could save your skin.
11) I like to know whether I'm lying to save the skin of a tosser or a moron.
12) ... implemented in the monetary policy of the United States two years ago to save the skin of free enterprise capitalist America.
13) ... detour to Eugene to visit the kind folks (who've helped and saved my skin several times) who supply me with after-market parts for my DR650.
14) Pooja often made sure that she took half the blame and saved my skin.
15) ... it's saved my skin on 2 occasions in the past 18mnths from sudden hard drive failures.
16) On quite a few occasions they saved my skin and even helped me out with money.
17) I always appreciate how you guys saved my skin by deleting the evidence.
18) He had developed a motto that had saved his skin on many occasions -- risk is a dish best served to others.
19) When his boat sank, Tom saved his skin by clinging to a life preserver until a passing ship rescued him.
20) She had better win her argument with Osborne if she hopes to save her skin.