an acquired habit or tendency in one's character that is so deeply ingrained as to appear automatic
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I notice that when you are working you tap control "S" on the keyboard every two minutes.
Colleague 2: That's the keyboard shortcut to save my work. You know, I don't even notice anymore. It has become so second nature.
Colleague 1: Why do you do it?
Colleague 2: It comes from the old days when computers crashed and froze up all the time. After having lost work so many times, I just formed the habit of saving my work frequently.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Hey. I'm still in here. Why did you turn out the light?
Friend 2: Sorry. Second nature. It has just become so habitual to turn out the light when leaving a room.
Friend 1: I guess saving energy has become ingrained.
There is no gerund form for second nature.
1) If you learned back-in parking, it makes sense to you and it becomes second nature. If you never learned it, it seems odd.
2) ... the reason to use water wisely, the more likely water conservation would become second nature, she said.
3) ... such as changing default passwords and purchasing hardware with well-designed security, should be second nature to everyone working in your organisation.
4) Skating is just my second nature, it's just what I do. I can't not skate.
5) ... is very sad that a critical element of pre-flight planning, which should be second nature to any pilot, appears to have been done so poorly.
6) ... the route may have become second nature already, a sort of beeline to your destination.
7) ... and as time goes on it's just going to be second nature for everyone.
8) I'm glad I persevered because now creating more interesting packed lunches has become second nature.
9) ... being able to do it over and over again and then it becomes second nature.
10) ... and I kind of became an expert at doing it. It's like second nature.
11) ... a liberal education should make certain habits of rationality second nature.
12) I wake in the small hours, out of habit, it has become second nature to reach for my phone.
13) After years of practice, the mermaid movement became second nature to the 27-year-old scuba-diving instructor.
14) Thanks to capacitive touchscreen mobile devices, tapping and swiping user interfaces has become second nature.
15) ... and to have practiced it so it's second nature when you need to act on it.
16) If reinforced early, repeatedly and consistently, these skills can become second nature.
17) But you just get used to it, it becomes second nature.
18) However, it's all second nature to Frank, who has been around horses all his life.
19) to be behind the wheel of a car, driving feels a lot like second nature. As such, it's something done with little thought.
20) But as you play more and practice more, that stuff becomes second nature.