of inferior or mediocre quality or value
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I had to reject three batches of products in the factory this morning.
Colleague 2: What was wrong with them?
Colleague 1: They all had minor flaws in one form or another.
Colleague 2: Minor flaws which would affect their function?
Colleague 1: No. The flaws were mostly cosmetic.
Colleague 2: So, why reject them?
Colleague 1: Because I will never allow this company to sell second-rate, inferior product.
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: Well? Did you get accepted into any of the Ivy League colleges you applied for?
Student 2: I was rejected by all of them. I guess my grades just weren't high enough.
Student 1: I suppose you will have to go to a second rate school then.
Student 2: It is rather disappointing to accept the fact that I will be attending a lower quality university.
Being second rate the product did not pass quality control.
1) Bellerophon is a little short of status among the heroes becoming a bit of a second-rate Perseus.
2) And communities that rely solely upon private companies to provide public infrastructure will always have second-rate, or inferior, service.
3) Bond has always felt second-rate to me, as if the movies are their own knock-offs.
4) ... my valiant attempt at persuasion (i.e. begging) and my willingness to accept even second-rate placement, I remain without a framer's school.
5) What a bunch second-rate idiots, they will be laughed out of business.
6) The Federal Aviation Administration has been mismanaged for decades and provides Americans with second-rate air traffic control.
7) He was sick and tired of the second-rate hotel off Westlake Park. It smelled.
8) He is still dressing the part of a minor functionary in a second-rate publishing house, of no more account than an editor of crossword puzzle magazines.
9) Isn't mid-season just a dumping ground for second-rate shows that weren't good enough for the fall schedule?
10) The third-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the majority. The second-rate mind is only happy when it is thinking with the minority.
11) I hope they enjoy living in a a second rate, centrally planned, slow growth country with very diminished opportunities for themselves.
12) I don't want to go someplace second rate. Besides, it would ruin my chances of getting into Oxford.
13) ... the good players off the market. What is left are second rate players who didn't even draw any interest from the big teams!
14) ... and if it had it had been it would have collapsed due to second rate workmanship.
15) Low-income individuals should not be subject to second rate care simply because they receive more assistance from the government.
16) If she/he is approaching your birth with the belief that you have a second rate uterus you may not get the support you need and deserve.
17) ... that lack of specialty is another word for second rate.
18) ... and other Konami franchises aren't doing the best either. They're releasing second rate games that aren't attracting the attention of Western gamers.
19) Instead, we had to rely on second rate, third party apps to do what needed to be native.
20) But today, Marty's detective skills are far from second rate. In fact, he's amazing.