"to see through someone"
to understand the hidden truth about someone
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Looks like you had a really good meeting with the boss. He is smiling.
Colleague 2: I don't think so. The boss may be smiling but I am starting to see through him. When he smiles like that, it means that something bad is coming.
Colleague 1: Even though the boss is smiling and seems happy?
Colleague 2: It is just a disguise. He delivers his bad news later, in an email.
Two students are talking ...
Student 1: Rebecca seems like such a nice person. She is always volunteering for some charity or other.
Student 2: So you haven't seen through her yet, have you?
Student 1: What do you mean?
Student 2: If you ever ask her about her "volunteer" activities, she will tell you that she is repulsed by poor and homeless people and that she can't wait to shower after she interacts with them. She will also tell you that she doesn't understand how those people can be so lazy and stupid. The only reason she does any of those "selfless" activities is because it will look good on her college applications. She doesn't care for the people at all.
Seeing through the boss the man understood that a smile just meant trouble was coming later.
1) ... by your separatist ideology, nobody believes you, we all see through you. You will use Brexit as a tool to engineer more hate and resentment ...
2) ... you're trying to be something you're not, the woman will see through you every time.
3) ... to tell the dog he's going to the vet, he'll probably see through you and be bummed about going.
4) You chumps will NEVER provide this list... We see through you.
5) I don't think you can pretend. The consumer will see through you very quickly if you try to do that.
6) Don't be afraid to show your weaknesses and your strengths. People will see through you if you pretend to be something you are not.
7) ... lie about your experience and you're just novice at best, contractors will see through you and you'll be flipping burgers just trying to make rent.
8) Peter said to me, you are like a glass and I can see through you. You're not lying.
9) The public is not stupid. The public can see through you very quickly.
10) My own family and our previous circle of friends and neighbours see through her at this point as she went too far with her post-separation antics.
11) People are beginning to understand her game and are able to see through her ruse.
12) ... her concern with young people is a legitimate concern, because they see through her.
13) The public doesn't like her, they see through her obsessive lies. She has no class whatsoever.
14) He is too smart not to see through her and her scheming ways.
15) But who is Kim kidding? We all can see through her supposedly kind words and we all know exactly what Kim actually wants to do.
16) I think people are starting to see through him right now and they don't like what they see.
17) ... now he was walking out there with the knowledge that everyone thought they could see through him, mocked him.
18) He is disrespectful and a law unto himself. The DA will see through him in no time.
19) So if half the adult population had failed to see through him at that point I reasoned that they never would.
20) After three or four years, people started to see through him. That this guy is not that professional or doesn't have that in-depth ...