"to settle for"
to agree to accept something, even though something else would be better
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: It would be really great if we could produce this sales brochure in color.
Colleague 2: I agree that it would look fantastic but we simply don't have the budget for that. How about the first and last pages in color and the rest in black and white?
Colleague 1: It is not ideal but I could settle for that.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: You have turned down scholarships from three different colleges. I don't understand why you would do that.
Friend 2: Because I don't want to settle for anything less than the very best I can get.
Friend 1: So you are waiting for an offer from one of the very best schools?
Friend 2: Exactly.
Settling for second best is simply not an option. We demand the best.
1) And, after this war, we do not intend to settle for anything less than lasting peace.
2) Why do we hold ourselves back from the best and settle for the good?
3) Try to educate yourself, not settle for the easy answer, see the truth and lies of both sides otherwise you ...
4) American Airlines could not get "American.com" and had to settle for "AmericanAir.com."
5) Some of us are definitely all about non-accommodationism. We don't need to settle for hitching ourselves to people who we have fundamental differences with.
6) You have to keep your options open; don't settle for one emotional attitude and try to solidify it. Allow the full range, ...
7) I lost my job and had to settle for a job that paid about 35% less than what I was making.
8) Inspirational article - how often do we settle for less than we can have?
9) They stood up to say that maybe this year we don't have to settle for politics where scoring points is more important than solving problems.
10) And whether it's bayonets or lung transplant funding, never settle for less than the full story.
11) Most likely, these will be settled for pennies on the dollar as a cost of doing bank business and face-saving avoidance.
12) My experience may have been a bit easier, because I settled for the 8GB model. It seems that the 16GB was more popular.
13) ... another like position -- he was out of work for 10 months... so he settled for a job in retail managing a store.
14) I wanted to be a lounge singer in a seedy bar. I settled for working in HR.
15) Lacking a beach and tanning-temperatures, I've settled for the bright flavors of my summer in California instead
16) More than anything, however, she is instinctively unconventional and incapable of settling for "normality".
17) But I decided that instead of settling for something I didn't really want, I would wait until I could afford ...
18) Women need to raise their standards and stop settling for dudes just cause they have money.
19) There is no passion to be found playing small - in settling for a life that is less than the one you are capable of living.
20) But the bad news is you're worried you might be settling for a position that isn't the right fit for you.