"to sever ties"
to end a relationship or agreement suddenly or completely
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Have you seen the news? One of our suppliers has been charged with using what amounts to slave labor in one of their factories.
Colleague 2: What are we going to do?
Colleague 1: We will make an announcement that we are immediately severing ties with our supplier. We will further add that we had no knowledge of this practice and that we do not condone it whatsoever.
Colleague 2: I guess we had better scramble to find a replacement supplier.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: My brother keeps showing up on my doorstep drunk and out of control. I cannot count the number of times he has brought nothing but trouble to me and my family. He is a grown man and should not be behaving like this. He refuses to get professional help.
Friend 2: What are you going to do?
Friend 1: I think I have no choice but to completely sever ties with my brother.
Friend 2: That sounds pretty drastic. You may never see him again.
Friend 1: He is just too destructive. I have to get him out of my life.
Severing ties would make it very difficult to ever resume the relationship.
1) ... while swimwear manufacturer Speedo headlined a host of sponsors to sever ties with Lochte, who was handed a 10-month ban.
2) ... the radio station where she hosted a political talk show decided to sever ties with her for her hateful speech.
3) ... only to subsequently sever ties over concerns about whether he was caring for his animals properly.
4) ... said you don't have to sever ties with an old ally to associate yourself with a newly found ally.
5) ... clarified that he never said he would sever ties with the US because it would be against the interest of the country.
6) However, unlike Saudi Arabia, it stopped short of severing ties altogether and continues to maintain an embassy in Tehran.
7) ... announced on Twitter that he was severing ties with the channel for airing the show and for its lack of female representation.
8) The president later on clarified that he is not severing ties with the Washington but is merely implementing a more independent foreign policy.
9) When to break away and move on. This may mean severing ties with a girlfriend, lover, family member, a crippling job, and ...
10) We are not severing ties with anyone. We want to maintain diplomacy with almost all countries in the ...
11) But the network severed ties with the billionaire in 2015 after he made crude comments about Mexicans and Muslims.
12) The US subsequently severed ties with the island, which is viewed by Beijing as a breakaway province.
13) In June, Walgreens, the nation's largest drugstore chain, severed ties with the company, closing all 40 of its Theranos Wellness Centers.
14) ... to recent allegations of sexual misconduct against a former member of our chapter, we severed ties with the individual, who will have no future affiliation or involvement with our ...
15) ... making progress on a promise to reopen channels cut off when the previous Conservative government severed ties with Iran in 2012.
16) Ryanair severs ties with momondo over breach of contract. Ryanair has revoked a licensing agreement with ...
17) ... Bank of England plans on keeping a close eye on the economy as the U.K. severs ties with the EU, a move widely known as Brexit.
18) When a brand severs ties with a public figure, does the company suffer financially?
19) It's just another example of how thoroughly the new-look Windows mobile platform severs ties with all that has gone before.
20) ... of dollars, should immediately and decisively sever ties with his own real-estate empire to avoid international conflicts of interest, experts say.