"to shoot yourself in the foot"
to do or say something (usually stupid) that causes problems (usually unintended) for yourself
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I really want this promotion but that old grump of a boss will never give it to me. She is such a mean and difficult person. I really don't like her. I would love to take her job from her.
Colleague 2: I think you have just shot yourself in the foot.
Colleague 1: What do you mean?
Colleague 2: Look who is standing behind you.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Well, did you sell your house?
Friend 2: I've had two offers but they were both too low.
Friend 1: I hope you have not shot yourself in the foot. You may not get another offer in this depressed housing market and then as the deadline for taking that new job approaches, you will be forced to sell for even less than either of the two offers you already turned down.
Friend 2: I guess I will take my chances.
Shooting yourself in the foot could be a sign that you really do not want to succeed.
1) ... they almost shot themselves in the foot with too many team changes, ...
2) ... shot themselves in the foot when they had a go at the independents in the dying days of the campaign.
3) Some agencies shot themselves in the foot by failing to include a succinct summary.
4) ... they either shot themselves in the foot with a silly error, or ...
5) If they are involved, then they have shot themselves in the foot because the removal of one problem can lead to many problems.
6) ... he shot himself in the foot not once but twice. His failure to register an investment property was followed by ...
7) ... appears to have shot himself in the foot by trying to depict his opponent as an extremist sympathiser.
8) Why shoot yourself in the foot with such troubling nominations for key positions?
9) ... punitive tariffs merely hurt your own consumers, so you shoot yourself in the foot.
10) You shoot yourself in the foot giving up so many extra opportunities.
11) So why would you purposefully shoot yourself in the foot by wearing something that's tacky, itchy and nowhere near as funny as you ...
12) Don't shoot yourself in the foot by being too proud to visit your doctor for any issue!
13) But you don't want to shoot yourself in the foot with pricing that's not smart.
14) Otherwise you could shoot yourself in the foot if you let people on who don't know what they are doing.
15) I did so many of those big romantic comedies that I shot myself in the foot a little bit. I kind of saturated that romantic comedy marketplace, ...
16) I just didn't know any better. I inadvertently shot myself in the foot. There's no way to go back and undo things but I would've ...
17) ... an insecure, ignorant narcissist -- will keep shooting himself in the foot to the point where he reaches a tipping point and down he goes.
18) ... might just be shooting himself in the foot with this move as you do not try to solve a problem by creating more ...
19) ... got it all wrong. Yes he is shooting himself in the foot. You don't insult the crocodile BEFORE crossing the river.
20) ... too, is shooting himself in the foot with his egotistical opposition to the animated TV series that the network is excited to ...