"to show someone the ropes"
to show or teach someone (usually in a new situation) how to do something that the person is not familiar with
Related words and phrases:
Martha has just been promoted to office manager of the office where she works. As such, when a new employee is hired for the office, it is Martha's responsibility to teach the new employee all the procedures and expectations necessary to fulfill the job requirements.
Martha must show the new employees the ropes.
Martha must show the ropes to the new employees.
Juan has decided to try a new hobby. Juan has decided that he would like to learn to watch birds. Juan's friend, Raphael, has offered to take Juan to his first birdwatcher meeting. Raphael has been a birdwatcher for more than ten years ...
Juan: Thanks for offering to help me with my new hobby.
Raphael: No problem. Bird watching is a great pastime.
Juan: I'm a little nervous because I know nothing about bird watching.
Raphael: Don't worry. I'll show you the ropes.
Showing someone the ropes might be an obligation or it might be an act of kindness.
1) I show the new person the ropes in order to get them up to snuff on work procedures.
2) You show me the ropes when I don't know what I am doing.
3) He shows his new boss the ropes when he teaches his new boss the factory procedures.
4) She shows her friend the ropes when she introduces her friend to a new fashion style.
5) We show the new students the ropes so that the new students feel more welcome on campus.
6) You (all) show him the ropes when you take the time to show them how to do something new.
7) They show me the ropes when I am new to the group.
8) He and Joey will show you the ropes. You'll soon get the hang of things, Dave.
9) Let our Aussie Instructors show you the ropes and you will be surfing in no time.
10) Ask an experienced friend to go with you and show you the ropes.
11) There are lots of women who would relish the opportunity to show you the ropes. You just need to make a connection.
12) A dear old friend is quite willing to show you the ropes. Too bad you see so little of each other lately.
13) Ask around to see if any golfer friends can show you the ropes. Chances are they'd be more than happy to help.
14) This person can show you the ropes of engineering.
15) These programs should at least meet you halfway and show you the ropes.
16) I like to go with someone that has a bit of experience to show me the ropes.
17) All I really needed was the lovely Janet & David to show me the ropes in person. I only wish they lived closer to me.
18) Nigel was nice enough to take me under his wing and show me the ropes.
19) There are no mentors to show me the ropes, and there are no roommates that drag me to events.
20) I was an only child, and with no older siblings to show me the ropes, I had to stumble through the process on my own.