"to sit up with someone"
to stay with someone through the night, especially with a sick or troubled person or with someone who is waiting for something
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: You are looking really tired this morning. Is everything alright?
Colleague 2: My youngest child was feeling really ill last night so I sat up with her so I did not get any sleep.
Colleague 1: Good for you to be such a caring mother. Is you daughter OK?
Colleague 2: She is feeling much better now. I gave her plenty of liquids and medication every four hours.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: What are you doing home? I thought your grandmother was in the hospital.
Friend 2: She is but the nurse sent us home because my grandmother is in a long surgery and there was nothing I could do at the hospital. They said they would call as soon as there was news. Looks like I won't be sleeping tonight.
Friend 1: Do you want me to sit up with you and keep you company?
Friend 2: Thanks. That would be great. I could use the emotional support.
Sitting up with a sick child is what parents do.
1) All that night both Amelia and Booth sat up with their child, who rather grew worse than better.
2) The Marquis, as I said, sat up very late and my master sat up with him. One of his men went to bed in the oak room.
3) ... and helped them with their work, and anything that needed to be done. Sat up with them all night.
4) I sat up with her all nigh not daring to sleep a wink as each time she ...
5) Poor Gert sat up with me the whole time to help me understand and figure out what happened ...
6) I carried you, growing inside me, No charge. For the nights I sat up with you, doctored you, prayed for you, No charge.
7) The latter sat up with her mother to the utmost of her strength night after night.
8) ... to have a breathing hole cut into her throat and was very weak. I sat up with her all that night in case she got into trouble breathing whilst coming ...
9) Beth went to sleep right away. I sat up with Paul, a friend since our days together in Cochise Hall at the ...
10) They laid her out, and they lit some candles, and they sat up with her, just like folks do now.
11) ... strong visceral bond which it surely is, but it's all those nights we sat up with a sick child, or those horrifying times when some medical test might ...
12) Some of the supposed witches were relatives of the defendants and had sat up with sick members of their families.
13) ... to reassure him and involve him though all should be just fine, he can sit up with you while to nurse and cuddle, read books, watch a movie ...
14) He took medicine that night and went to bed. Clough offered to sit up with him, but he did not accept the offer.
15) Someone who can call you out and support you and sit up with you at midnight on a camping trip because you want to see the stars.
16) Thankfully my wife has been able to sit up with them at night in the room next door while I try and sleep.
17) ... that I now have a boyfriend that is completely understanding about it and can sit up with me at night if I'm having a particularly bad day.
18) I hope you get better soon. And you are such a great Dad for sitting up with him all night.
19) ... your husband is in India and you spend the night sitting up with a steaming baby sleeping on your chest ...
20) ... very rare for a three month old to sleep through the night. Who is sitting up with the baby when he or she wakes up at 2 am and 5 ...