"to slip through your fingers"
by not making enough effort you lose an opportunity or a person
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Are you still going out with Kara?
Friend 2: No. She ended the relationship.
Friend 1: What happened?
Friend 2: It was all my fault. I simply did not focus enough attention on Kara. I didn't put enough effort into the relationship.
Friend 1: I can't believe you let her slip through your fingers like that. She is an amazing person and perfect for you.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: Well, have you landed that big new client you have been working on?
Colleague 2: I'm afraid that I let the deal slip through my fingers.
Colleague 1: Seriously. What happened?
Colleague 2: I simply didn't focus well enough on the prospective client and I failed to notice that the client was approaching other firms and the other firms were offering better deals.
Colleague 1: I suppose that you will have to find some way to keep track of all your prospects better.
Slipping through her fingers due to inattention, she lost the love of her life.
1) ... forward so it was important to secure him and not let him slip through their fingers as he would need to be replaced if he was lost to free agency.
2) Meanwhile, the police let their man slip through their fingers on two occasions.
3) ... of her well-informed, responsible family, and she still managed to slip through their fingers and kill herself and her baby.
4) Imagine how stupid Mclaren would have looked if they let Hamilton slip through their fingers because he wasn't experienced enough for 2007.
5) But at the same time, that mentor could slip through your fingers if you're not careful. Bottom line: don't get lazy, work ...
6) I feel if you let these prospects slip through your fingers without trying to turn them into a client, then you've lost a golden ...
7) Don't let your life slip through your fingers by living in the past or for the future.
8) Don't let the chance to work abroad slip through your fingers.
9) ... that Webber had let a golden chance slip through his fingers and that he might not get another.
10) AA should be embarassed at what he let slip through his fingers this season due to flat out inactivity.
11) Brian watched everything he had worked so hard for slip through his fingers. He felt alone, lost and hopeless, until he was presented an opportunity.
12) ... we were so close and then let it slip through our fingers.
13) ... we had the lead, but unfortunately we let it slip through our fingers.
14) If we do not consciously make the time, it will slip through our fingers without second thought.
15) We should not let time slip through our fingers without having spent some time with those who really matter to us, ...
16) ... had the manpower to have captured Bin Laden rather than let him slip through our fingers in Tora Bora and ...
17) It always seems to slip through my fingers every time I think I have something solid.
18) I know I've let a really great chance slip through my fingers today.
19) I knew I couldn't afford to let this moment slip through my fingers and I managed to scrounge up enough courage to stay.
20) I let a good man slip through my fingers, because I let doubt get control of me.