1) a period of not much activity
2) slowly increasing anger or resentment
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: What's happening with the new marketing campaign?
Colleague 2: We're letting it do a slow burn. We have launched the product and put out a few advertisements and are working on a small promotion but nothing big and splashy.
Colleague 1: Slow and steady, huh?
Colleague 2: Yes. We want to see how the initial stage goes before doing anything too big.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Why isn't your father more upset that you had a small accident and dented the fender of his car?
Friend 2: Oh, he is upset alright. His anger is on a slow burn. Over the next couple of days, he with seethe and dwell on the situation and then, probably, explode in anger.
Friend 1: I wouldn't want to be you. I can't imagine your punishment when your father finally blows up.
There is no gerund form for slow burn.
1) ... of debate about how to start the film. Do we open with a slow burn or launch it like a rocket?
2) ... will keep them out of bankruptcy. I think this is more of a slow burn. I don't see it as being the catalyst for the next leg in ...
3) ... but the slow burn -- they are signaling less interest in doing anything.
4) A slow burn of desire finally flashes and ignites between the ragged torn soldier and the compassionate lady ...
5) Quietly mesmerizing.... A slow burn, measured but suspenseful, this compact novel makes every slyly crafted sentence count.
6) ... including some with the potential to turn some of the slow burn dynamics into sudden shocks, either negative or positive.
7) It's been a slow burn on my list to date and now it's really taken hold and has become very interesting.
8) West's latest film, The Innkeepers, is an elegant slow burn, a ghost story made special by its patient, assured direction.
9) ... not a breakout star from the beginning, Nick's rise has been more of a slow burn.
10) ... trying to start faster than his previous novels. His habit has been the slow burn in pacing followed by an explosion of craziness.
11) ... solutions to problems, we will simply ignore them and put things on a slow burn.
12) ... those who have a more balanced passion vs. comfort situation will tell you the slow burn is much better than the heady rush.
13) ... zombie apocalypse films could give audiences a familiar story -- the slow burn discovery of a zombie epidemic that soon overtakes the world is as familiar as chocolate.
14) Agreed it will be a slow burn in terms of dollar system death, but abrupt volatility along the way, with ...
15) Everyone knows that slow burn continues to grow into the relationship of a lifetime -- but he chose the sudden ...
16) Like I said, Gabriel is a slow burn. But when he explodes you'd better get the hell out of the way.
17) Both are neurotic worrywarts and Type-A personalities who slow burn into a crazy breakdown once per episode.
18) It is a 162-game slog, a slow burn of strategy and stamina.
19) ... clout he's used to as four-star general and CIA director, imagine the slow burn creeping through his military-mind at not being able to control a motley crew of paparazzi.
20) ... a token minority and have to prove yourself in every new situation. The slow burn of anger and resentment burns a lot of women right out of the industry.