"to stand on your own two feet"
to be independent and self-supporting
Related words and phrases:
Two business partners are talking ...
Partner 1: How much money to we each need to put in?
Partner 2: Five thousand dollars.
Partner 1: And this will make the third time we have had to infuse capital into our business. When will it stand on its own two feet?
Partner 2: I believe that this ten thousand dollars will be just enough to get the business to the point where it is self-sustaining. Then we won't have to put any more money in. It will be generating profit.
Two parents are talking ...
Husband: Our son has been out of school for over a year. He is living rent free and it is about time that he learns to be independent.
Wife: Are you suggesting that we make him leave home and find his own place to live? He will have to get a job and learn to support himself.
Husband: Yes. I believe it is time for our son to learn to stand on his own two feet.
Standing on her own two feet, she launched her new business solo.
1) Let's see which businesses can stand on their own two feet without continuous borrowing.
2) ... and some times our children need some tough love to stand on their own two feet.
3) ... are mature industries and should be more than able to stand on their own two feet by now. Renewable energy, in contrast, is relatively new and needs support.
4) Theaters are businesses and should stand on their own two feet like any other business.
5) Now the money has gone and they have to stand on their own two feet.
6) Sorry, if you can't stand on your own two feet tough. Stop asking for government handouts all the time
7) ... entitled to ongoing financial support from any ex-partner. Stand on your own two feet, and accept the consequences of your choices.
8) Their job is to make you stand on your own two feet, to fight back and own your own life.
9) ... specialised training degree after which you should be able to stand on your own two feet and carry out independent research.
10) ... years you are trained to be on your own, stand on your own two feet, and you don't rely on mummy or daddy for everything.
11) Break the attachment: It is time to stand on your own two feet. NC helps you to seek support and companionship from other sources.
12) You may have been encouraged to be independent - to stand on your own two feet, so to speak.
13) ... and all Australians must recognise the fact, we must stand on our own two feet, and become self sufficient for our own defense.
14) We've all got to stand on our own two feet and stop blaming everyone else for our own mistakes.
15) The strategy is that we stand on our own two feet and the advantages of that are that we don't have to rely on anybody ...
16) I am proud that I have managed to stand on my own two feet and not constantly rely on handouts.
17) I have grown up. I have learned to stand on my own two feet and keep myself from being affected by others' actions.
18) I want him to stand on his own two feet and be able to budget properly on his own
19) When his parents died he had to learn to stand on his own two feet.
20) I want to educate my daughter, so she can stand on her own two feet.