"to stick up for"
to defend and/or support
Related words and phrases:
Two mothers are talking ...
Mother 1: I'm afraid my little Johnny is in trouble again at school.
Mother 2: What did he do?
Mother 1: He stepped in and defended a smaller boy who was being picked on by a bully.
Mother 2: Nice of Johnny to stick up for the little boy. Too bad he got into trouble. Bullying is a real issue nowadays.
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: The boss is such an idiot. I think a monkey could make better decisions.
Colleague 2: Wait a minute. That's not fair. The boss makes the best possible decisions under circumstances that we probably don't know everything about.
Colleague 1: Why are you sticking up for the boss?
Colleague 2: Because fair is fair.
Sticking up for your best friend when others are saying bad things about them is only natural.
1) Bullies tend to bully kids who don't stick up for themselves.
2) But it was against us, so I've got to stick up for my teammate.
3) The right of people to expect their states to stick up for their liberties and their property rights.
4) This family is whole. They stick up for each other. They love each other.
5) I also feel hurt because I want Nate to stick up for me, and our friendship has really suffered.
6) Forgiveness is great, but so is sticking up for yourself, as long as you do it respectfully.
7) Instead of sticking up for me, the people I called my "best friends" stood there ...
8) I for one think she is brave for sticking up for what she believes in.
9) If you feel that asserting or sticking up for yourself will leave you feeling more as ease then do it.
10) Some of the unwritten rules are about sportsmanship or sticking up for your team, but others are just antiquated.
11) She always stuck up for the underdog. She made everyone feel so important to her like they ...
12) He's a big reason why I signed here. He's stuck up for me in the past and he's been a real good guy to ...
13) I didn't like it, but I stuck up for his right to do it.
14) But when his mother accused me of this, he stuck up for me and blatantly told her not to be silly and explained that I ...
15) We have lost many, many strong community activists who have stuck up for their area for many long years.
16) Often when police attend a domestic violence situation, the woman sticks up for her abuser.
17) He is so profound and emotionally mature. He sticks up for anyone who the others reject, makes friends with everyone and treats everyone ...
18) The coach has the players ears, and he sticks up for them when they lose.
19) And just as important, he sticks up for us throughout the post production process and helps us get what we need.
20) He'll let anyone say anything about him, and he never sticks up for himself.