"to stick your neck out"
to take a risk
Related words and phrases:
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: So, when are you going to launch your business?
Friend 2: I'm not sure. It's such a risk to quit my job and put all that money into a business.
Friend 1: But you've always wanted to be independent.
Friend 2: I suppose that I will have to stick my neck out at some point.
Two coworkers are talking ...
Coworker 1: The boss sure was upset. I thought he was going to fire me. That was very kind of you to speak up and defend me.
Coworker 2: No problem. It was only fair that someone told the boss the truth. You are a good worker and whatever the boss was talking about was not your fault.
Coworker 1: Nevertheless, you didn't have to risk your position. Thanks for sticking your neck out for me.
Sticking your neck out can be considered either brave or stupid.
1) I will stick my neck out to say that it has the best cafe food in Vancouver.
2) Next thing you know, you'll want me to stick my neck out and report crimes in progress.
3) If I don't initiate or stick my neck out I'll be safe.
4) I'm going to stick my neck out and say Tom will get 80% or so of the " rural " vote.
5) Remember that this is a man who was happy to stick his neck out on abortion.
6) What I didn't realize was that Greg was willing to stick his neck out and risk his reputation to challenge anyone that supported the use of violence.
7) It takes intestinal fortitude to stick your neck out in the public arena.
8) Yes, I know that it's risky to stick your neck out there, especially when at the mercy of the algorithm.
9) The easy option is to go with the crowd and not stick your neck out.
10) I actually appreciate your willingness to stick your neck out, and hope you do well going forward.
11) Who's going to stick their neck out on this?
12) As echoed by others, good to see someone willing to stick their neck out rather than writing something purely to be sensationalist.
13) The problem now is that no one is willing to stick their neck out to jump start the economy.
14) I had an idea but wanted to do some research before sticking my neck out.
15) I think though, and I know I'm sticking my neck out into dangerous territory here, that we may have reached just such a significant ...
16) In design terms that means sticking your neck out and trying something a little different.
17) Trust comes with time. Trust comes with you sticking your neck out proving yourself to be correct.
18) I commend this man for sticking his neck out to right a wrong so many of us wanted to say something about.
19) That's why I appreciate Judy sticking her neck out for this and I hope some people like it.
20) This chap sacrificed a lot for us. How many of us would stick our neck out to be chopped. So, please, stop the in-fighting.