"to swallow your pride"
to decide to do something even though it will embarrass or shame you
Related words and phrases:
Two colleagues are talking ...
Colleague 1: I just can't get this spreadsheet to do what I want it to.
Colleague 2: Ask for help.
Colleague 1: That would be far too embarrassing. This is my job. I'm supposed to know how do do it.
Colleague 2: And how will you feel when the boss reviews your work and finds that you couldn't do it?
Colleague 1: OK. I guess I'll have to swallow my pride and ask someone in IT for help.
Two friends are talking ...
Friend 1: Any luck finding a job?
Friend 2: None.
Friend 1: Perhaps you should swallow your pride and ask for your old job back. I know they could really use you.
Friend 2: I can't imagine the walk of shame crossing the office floor on the way to the boss's office.
Friend 1: So, stay unemployed.
Swallowing your pride and admitting when you are wrong can be very difficult.
1) Of course it's hard to swallow your pride and tell someone you messed up.
2) If you can't manage something, swallow your pride and ask for help.
3) If you're that desperate do what I did - swallow your pride and take a job in data entry or the service desk then see ...
4) If you want to be better at something, swallow your pride and surround yourself with people who demand you to step up!
5) ... because to earn a living you have to be prepared to swallow your pride at times, even if humiliation is part of the deal.
6) Be the bigger person, swallow your pride, and don't sulk.
7) If you face your fears, swallow your pride, and are willing to work at it, you'll learn lessons in ...
8) I hope you are humble enough to swallow your pride and accept the fact that your first step should be getting professional coaching
9) My only solution is to swallow my pride and be less stubborn and picky.
10) ... this comment out of embarrassment, but If I can help someone, I'll swallow my pride.
11) I was ashamed I couldn't do it on my own and wouldn't swallow my pride.
12) I had to swallow my pride and ask my daughter for help.
13) If something hurts, I just swallow my pride and try to learn from it.
14) I think to move forward, one party should just swallow their pride, do the best they can and take the plunge to make that ...
15) They'd meet at shelters where they had to swallow their pride and ask for food.
16) Other countries have benefited from non-native sportsmen and women, some Poles need to swallow their pride and accept it.
17) Wayne must swallow his pride and seek out help for his illiteracy.
18) They must have paid him an awful lot to swallow his pride - he swore blind he would never do it.
19) ... but he was unable or unwilling to swallow his pride. He felt he'd been demonised and misrepresented by me in the ...
20) Soon enough, Nyerere had to swallow his pride and begged friendly nations for food even though Tanzania had a fertile land ...